The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock Error

White has the ball near their basket. They lose possession with about 7 seconds left on the shot clock. Red now has possession of the ball and as they are in transition to their basket, but before they attempt a shot, the shot clock horn sounds because the shot clock operator forgot to reset the shot clock when white lost possession of the ball. When the shot clock buzzer sounds red stops playing. What is the correct call? Do you penalize red for not continueing to play when no whistle was blown? Do you stop the game and put 23 seconds on a remaining shot clock for red?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2013, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

If a scoring play isn't imminent, stop play, correct the shot clock, then give it to red.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Your post indicates that you had definite knowledge of an error by the table in not properly resetting the shot clock. So why would you even consider punishing the Red team as an option?

Yes, reset to :30 Red throw in at POI.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock Error

In the pre game we instructed both teams to play our whistle and not the horn. When the shot clock buzzer sounded we did not blow our whistles as red had an opportunity to score. When it was obvious red stopped playing we blew our whistles and dealt with the situation, in question.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'mon mendy View Post
In the pre game we instructed both teams to play our whistle and not the horn.
I hear a lot of this, and at first I thought I liked it, but then I realized I don't want players fully ignorant of the horn since it signals the end of all periods, while the whistle in those same instances means absolutely nothing and is often not blown at all.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 09:27am
Eschew obfuscation.

With definite knowledge, you can fix this and move on easily.

In NCAA-W, reset the shot clock at 23 and put the ball in play OOB closest to where it was when the error was noticed.

In NCAA-M, reset the shot clock at 28 and put the ball in play OOB closest to where it was when the error was noticed.

You could go to the monitor for a timing error if you didn't have definite knowledge... if you have access to a monitor.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I hear a lot of this, and at first I thought I liked it, but then I realized I don't want players fully ignorant of the horn since it signals the end of all periods, while the whistle in those same instances means absolutely nothing and is often not blown at all.
We always have a whistle at the end of a quarter/half.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
We don't. We only sound the whistle if there's something questionable, i.e. a try after the horn, near the end of the period.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Your post indicates that you had definite knowledge of an error by the table in not properly resetting the shot clock. So why would you even consider punishing the Red team as an option?

Yes, reset to :30 Red throw in at POI.
Agreed, if the "normal" shot clock period is :37.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
As do we, by the official who has last shot responsibility.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We don't. We only sound the whistle if there's something questionable, i.e. a try after the horn, near the end of the period.
Do you whistle in subs?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Do you whistle in subs?
Only if my partner (two person in old fashioned Connecticut) doesn't have a good angle to see the table and is about ready to administer and the timer is asleep at the switch at sounding the horn. We seldom, if ever, whistle in substitutes when the timer does his job and sounds the horn at the proper time. Usually it's just the "come hither" beckon signal, maybe with a "Sub" oral beckon.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Do you whistle in subs?
I don't. I yell "Sub!" and beckon.

Back to the whistle to end a period, I don't think I've whistled the end of a period more than 5-10 times ever. We were taught it has no significance unless the horn fails to fire (or it's clear the players didn't respond to the horn).
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ubercool ...

Quote:
Unless the horn fails to fire.
You guys have pyrotechnics scoreboards? Cool.

Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 12:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I don't. I yell "Sub!" and beckon.

Back to the whistle to end a period, I don't think I've whistled the end of a period more than 5-10 times ever. We were taught it has no significance unless the horn fails to fire (or it's clear the players didn't respond to the horn).
Fine if that's your local practice. The NFHS official's manual does say that we whistle in subs.

(No, Rut, you don't have to tell me that you don't follow the NFHS manual in Northeast Illinois.)

I watch a lot of JV games before my varsity games where the officials don't whistle in the subs. It just seems awkward without the whistle -- the official waves, the kid hesitates, the official waves again...personally, I can't imagine not using a whistle.

Back to the original thread. My hijack is over. Besides, didn't we go round and round on this topic a few years ago?