Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Here's my take on "strong side" or "ball side" officiating in a 2-whistle crew.

When the Lead goes ballside, the Lead continues to officiate his/her primary area of responsibility, whether the ball is in that area or not.

If you go ballside b/c the ball has settled in the opposite post, then you officiate the ball in the post, b/c it's your primary.

If you go ballside b/c the competitive matchup is getting heated on the opposite block, then you officiate that matchup, b/c it's in your primary. Your partner will still have to be on-ball.

In either case, if the ball swings back to your primary on your "normal" side of the court, you have to go back and officiate on-ball in your primary. But I think that's not really a point of confusion in this thread.

In order for this to work for the crew, it is very important that you communicate with your partner using body language when you are on ball vs. off ball. If you come across strong side and take the ball, you need to make sure that you square up to the base line so that your partner knows that he/she can now move off ball. Conversely (no, not Nikely) if you come strong side and stay with the competitive matchup described above, you will need to make sure you stay at a 45 degree angle with your body.

Discussing this in your pregame and working this out with your partner makes this system work very well.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 07:08pm
In Memoriam

Conversely (no, not Nikely) - cute

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Here's my take on "strong side" or "ball side" officiating in a 2-whistle crew.

When the Lead goes ballside, the Lead continues to officiate his/her primary area of responsibility, whether the ball is in that area or not.

If you go ballside b/c the ball has settled in the opposite post, then you officiate the ball in the post, b/c it's your primary.

If you go ballside b/c the competitive matchup is getting heated on the opposite block, then you officiate that matchup, b/c it's in your primary. Your partner will still have to be on-ball.

In either case, if the ball swings back to your primary on your "normal" side of the court, you have to go back and officiate on-ball in your primary. But I think that's not really a point of confusion in this thread.

In order for this to work for the crew, it is very important that you communicate with your partner using body language when you are on ball vs. off ball. If you come across strong side and take the ball, you need to make sure that you square up to the base line so that your partner knows that he/she can now move off ball. Conversely (no, not Nikely) if you come strong side and stay with the competitive matchup described above, you will need to make sure you stay at a 45 degree angle with your body.

Discussing this in your pregame and working this out with your partner makes this system work very well.
bigwhistle,
Sounds like you and I won't have to pre-game that.
mick
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Here's my take on "strong side" or "ball side" officiating in a 2-whistle crew. . .
In order for this to work for the crew, it is very important that you communicate with your partner using body language when you are on ball vs. off ball.

If you (as a crew) do a good job in the pregame, then the "body language" should be unnecessary. Communication always helps ("crew dynamics" is a mantra down here), but your partner at Trail should know that when you come ballside, you will still be in your primary, whether that's on-ball or off-ball. Once that's clear, then s/he just has to work his/her primary without worrying about where your eyes are.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 06:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's my take on "strong side" or "ball side" officiating in a 2-whistle crew. . .
In order for this to work for the crew, it is very important that you communicate with your partner using body language when you are on ball vs. off ball.

If you (as a crew) do a good job in the pregame, then the "body language" should be unnecessary. Communication always helps ("crew dynamics" is a mantra down here), but your partner at Trail should know that when you come ballside, you will still be in your primary, whether that's on-ball or off-ball. Once that's clear, then s/he just has to work his/her primary without worrying about where your eyes are.
Chuck,
That body posturing is/was taught/recommended/required for Women's ball.
mick
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Chuck,
That body posturing is/was taught/recommended/required for Women's ball.
mick
I have no problem with it. As I said, communication is a good thing. My only point is that if the crew has a good pre-game, the Trail official probably shouldn't need the reminder. Remind him/her anyway? Fine by me. We do it all the time with end-of-game situations. I have no problem with it.

Chuck