View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie

My two cents... It may feel uncomfortable to work that way
but L should always have been working that way. This is the first time they have put it into writing--- I learned this way 10 years ago from a solid NBA official --- Once you go strong side you have ball, Trail has off ball, you have strong side rebounding, trail has perimeter and weakside rebounding. If you are not used to going across.. you just have to get in the habit of realizing when ball is away from you it does not do any good fro you to ref away from the play--- If a team is playing the skip pass/zone stuff you wait to go across--- The way I decide in a high school type level--- if the ball goes away from me I ask my self? Should I go across? Once I think that long if the ball is there yes go across, If I get there and ball is moving back I stay where I am at--- Is it 100% accurate nope! but if you move just dont stop in the middle of the paint...

Once you have trail and lead on same side of the floor Trail is responsible for Lead's sideline. Most of the time it will be a skip pass or hard pass you miss and Trail has the best look anyway. This is not any difference as when ball is above FT Line extended and ball goes OOB on Leads side. Trail has first shot at it...

It's a great way to officiate because you are making the call from strong side, you are right on top of play, you are there watching play go to basket. It looks so so good when you go strong side, and pick up the bang bang call...

a coach can complain about the judgement but they can't complain when you are standing on top of the play with a great angle...

What even looks better is on a fast break and you hustle down the floor and go strong side and ref the layup from there and there is a foul

Drake is the Master of that one... Now that I have lost 30 pounds from this heat I'm going to challenge his title

BTW its strange when you adjust and you think that 95 degrees feels cool!

Have a great summer learning this because once you do, when you have a partner that does it you'll have a better game--- and it will drive you nuts when you have a partner that doesn't

Kelvin