Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Remember that before you go ballside, the ball and post play should be on that side of the court.
My understanding of the new mechanic is that the ball is L's primary as soon as it's inside the arc on that side, whether or not there's any post play. If I'm still far-side away from trail, and the ball is at the top of the key, with the look of someone cutting toward inside the arc below the trail, I'm going across right now -- with or without any post play -- so I'm there when the ball drops down, don't you think?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The way I understand it is, that that side of the lane is T's resposibility until L is on that side of the lane.

[Edited by Tim Roden on Jul 15th, 2003 at 10:19 PM]
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 03:22am
Official Forum Member

What does # 8 re no long switches mean?
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 05:42am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by jdccpa
Last two years, with back court foul and with the ball moving to the front court, the Officials were not to switch when a foul was called. (ie. the calling official did not go opposite)
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie

My two cents... It may feel uncomfortable to work that way
but L should always have been working that way. This is the first time they have put it into writing--- I learned this way 10 years ago from a solid NBA official --- Once you go strong side you have ball, Trail has off ball, you have strong side rebounding, trail has perimeter and weakside rebounding. If you are not used to going across.. you just have to get in the habit of realizing when ball is away from you it does not do any good fro you to ref away from the play--- If a team is playing the skip pass/zone stuff you wait to go across--- The way I decide in a high school type level--- if the ball goes away from me I ask my self? Should I go across? Once I think that long if the ball is there yes go across, If I get there and ball is moving back I stay where I am at--- Is it 100% accurate nope! but if you move just dont stop in the middle of the paint...

Once you have trail and lead on same side of the floor Trail is responsible for Lead's sideline. Most of the time it will be a skip pass or hard pass you miss and Trail has the best look anyway. This is not any difference as when ball is above FT Line extended and ball goes OOB on Leads side. Trail has first shot at it...

It's a great way to officiate because you are making the call from strong side, you are right on top of play, you are there watching play go to basket. It looks so so good when you go strong side, and pick up the bang bang call...

a coach can complain about the judgement but they can't complain when you are standing on top of the play with a great angle...

What even looks better is on a fast break and you hustle down the floor and go strong side and ref the layup from there and there is a foul

Drake is the Master of that one... Now that I have lost 30 pounds from this heat I'm going to challenge his title

BTW its strange when you adjust and you think that 95 degrees feels cool!

Have a great summer learning this because once you do, when you have a partner that does it you'll have a better game--- and it will drive you nuts when you have a partner that doesn't

Kelvin
Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 01:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

What even looks better is on a fast break and you hustle down the floor and go strong side
Do you do other dances while officiating?

Old Thu Jul 17, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

This is wonderful.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

A better link would be http://www.nfhs.org/sports/basketball_rules_change.htm

It has all of the changes.

http://www.nfhs.org/sports/basketball_rules_change.htm
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Last two years, with back court foul and with the ball moving to the front court, the Officials were not to switch when a foul was called. (ie. the calling official did not go opposite)

Mick....or any other Old Guy.....

So does this mean that they want a long switch now? Better question....how many of you will actually employ this or will you keep no long switches in your pregames?

Larks
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Larks
Yeah, this is sure to get plenty of answers...
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
...but L should always have been working that way. This is the first time they have put it into writing... Once you go strong side you have ball...

It's a great way to officiate because you are making the call from strong side, you are right on top of play, you are there watching play go to basket. It looks so so good when you go strong side, and pick up the bang bang call...

Have a great summer learning this because once you do, when you have a partner that does it you'll have a better game--- and it will drive you nuts when you have a partner that doesn't
Kelvin --

I have been taught to go across when the ball drops down, but that I don't have the ball, unless it's clear that trail doesn't have an angle. The theory is that the view/angle back through the key is going to be better from strong side.

We are also taught that being "right on top of the play" isn't the best way to officiate. That we should try to take a step or two away, to "see the whole play". So I'm not sure about what you're saying here.

I will be doing some varsity this coming year, but also quite a bit of JV, and I really don't want to be driven nuts by partners who aren't at that level yet. So I'm not sure about this part either.

I do appreciate your advice though that in general it's the best way to go. I agree, but not with the specific points I addressed.
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 03:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks

So does this mean that they want a long switch now? Better question....how many of you will actually employ this or will you keep no long switches in your pregames?

Larks
Old Tue Jul 22, 2003, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie
The mechanics just clarified the way we should have been refereeing- If you go back to the mechanics book it shows us reffing ball from the strong side--

Once that ball drops and settles the lead should pick it up. Although youre right sometimes you dont want to be on top of the play-- if you have a jump shot from the strong side of the paint it certainly looks better if you call it from strong side baseline ten feet away than it does for a trail who could be farther way and have more players in between. Working strong side is no different than if you were lead away from table/trail is table side ( balanced floor) and ball was in front of you-- Trail still has off ball in that situation and you are on ball right in front of you... Ball goes across paint, youre just going across and reffing as if Trail had swapped sides of floor ( they obviously dont) but you are reffing the ball. You have a better chance of picking up bad screens, the B/C, and the OOB that trail is definitely stretching for...

When you are with the ball on either side you have to see the whole play, that's why we referee the defense.. You know the ball is coming to the basket, so we watch the defense--- Personally I love working with Drake because even if the ball is slightly above FT Line extanded I will take it as lead in an isolation play because most of the time we know ball is going to the basket... There is no confusion on who should have the call because I or he will if he is on the basleine take the ballall the way to the hole.

Just some things to think about--- I love reffing the way the book espouses now-It is a long time coming-- It has always been implied but this is the first time they put it into writing that makes sense..
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Kelvin, I'm confused. And frankly, I'm so confused, I'm not even sure how to ask a question. Could someone else check in here, and give an opinion? I think we're discussing whether lead has always reffed the ball after he/she crossed to strong side, or whether that is new. But maybe we're actually talking about something else, I'm not sure.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here's my take on "strong side" or "ball side" officiating in a 2-whistle crew.

When the Lead goes ballside, the Lead continues to officiate his/her primary area of responsibility, whether the ball is in that area or not.

If you go ballside b/c the ball has settled in the opposite post, then you officiate the ball in the post, b/c it's your primary.

If you go ballside b/c the competitive matchup is getting heated on the opposite block, then you officiate that matchup, b/c it's in your primary. Your partner will still have to be on-ball.

In either case, if the ball swings back to your primary on your "normal" side of the court, you have to go back and officiate on-ball in your primary. But I think that's not really a point of confusion in this thread.

Chuck