The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball at its fundamental roots is all about the offense beating the defense to more advantageous position to score. It is the spirit for which every rule was written.

Look, it is a close play. The real learning on this is the court positioning and communication between the C & L.

This thread can be closed as far as I'm concerned.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:59pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Basketball at its fundamental roots is all about the offense beating the defense to more advantageous position to score Without doing certain things. It is the spirit for which every rule was written.

Fixed it for you...

Last edited by Adam; Thu Jan 10, 2013 at 04:05pm. Reason: fixed it for you
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:05pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
If there is skin off your nose, I can give you some of mine as I happen to agree with you...and will add that I think your comment about expecting too much from the defender is spot on, and is one of the big problems I see with officiating in my area (it's probably not a problem in that one certain area of Illinois, though).
I agree with both points here: that officials who require defenders to be standing still in a spot long before contact are making defense too difficult, and that such a requirement seems to be imposed by many HS officials.

Some folks I have worked with seem to call a block on virtually all contact, and they seem to justify doing so on the ground that they get less flak for it. That's not good officiating, IMO, and makes defense too hard.

Some people are worried about the "pendulum" swinging the other way, with too many PC calls, making offense too hard. I don't see that happening in my area.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 04:09pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
I agree with both points here: that officials who require defenders to be standing still in a spot long before contact are making defense too difficult, and that such a requirement seems to be imposed by many HS officials.

Some folks I have worked with seem to call a block on virtually all contact, and they seem to justify doing so on the ground that they get less flak for it. That's not good officiating, IMO, and makes defense too hard.

Some people are worried about the "pendulum" swinging the other way, with too many PC calls, making offense too hard. I don't see that happening in my area.
Agreed.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

+100. Couldn't have said it better.