The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
...and in the path...if you're not in the path, you're not even guarding, much less having legal guarding position.
The defender would appear to be in the path since he's between A1 and the goal. The only way he's not in the path is if A1 wasn't heading to the goal.

Quote:
Unrelated, those angles show that the L has the most open view of that play while the C had to deal with #1 crossing his line of sight.
I would argue there's no way for the L to know this unless C has the chance to make a call on the play but doesn't. As the video shows, C was coming out with a call but L reached out of his area to take the play. To me, this is the same situation as the Montverde/Simeon play posted in the other string. Let the guy who is supposed to call the play call it. Unless the NCAAM CCA manual differs from the NCAAW CCA manual on this, the C has the primary call on this because the play took place on his side of the floor.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 09:37pm.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The defender would appear to be in the path since he's between A1 and the goal. The only way he's not in the path is if A1 wasn't heading to the goal.
The path is the direction the player is heading...which may or may not be directly to the basket. At that point, what direction was the player moving in? He was going to the right of the defender then cut back to go around the left side. The stills don't show the timing of that.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 11:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Unrelated, those angles show that the L has the most open view of that play while the C had to deal with #1 crossing his line of sight.
The Lead had at least one body in his vision path. And the contact occurred outside the paint. The Lead needs to have a late whistle, not the primary whistle.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 11:23pm.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:19am
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

I would argue there's no way for the L to know this unless C has the chance to make a call on the play but doesn't. As the video shows, C was coming out with a call but L reached out of his area to take the play. To me, this is the same situation as the Montverde/Simeon play posted in the other string. Let the guy who is supposed to call the play call it. Unless the NCAAM CCA manual differs from the NCAAW CCA manual on this, the C has the primary call on this because the play took place on his side of the floor.
This is the C's call... In both NCAA-M and NCAA-W. The contact isn't even taken in the lane. Lead stretched, and when you make a call out of your area, you are more likely to be wrong than right.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 09:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

This is just my opinion, but I think those who would call this a block expect too much from defenders.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

This is a block. The defender overruns the angle then backtracks to try and take the charge and DOES NOT beat the offense to the spot. The offensive player makes a move to avoid the contact. Agree with Camron 100% that the defender doesn't get into the path in time.

If you don't see this when reviewing the top angle (0:23 seconds) we will have to agree to disagree on the outcome.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 10:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
This is a block. The defender overruns the angle then backtracks to try and take the charge and DOES NOT beat the offense to the spot. The offensive player makes a move to avoid the contact. Agree with Camron 100% that the defender doesn't get into the path in time.

If you don't see this when reviewing the top angle (0:23 seconds) we will have to agree to disagree on the outcome.
A1 is not an airborne shooter and B1 beats him to the spot, so I have a PC.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Then we will disagree. No skin off my nose.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 11:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
This is a block. The defender ... DOES NOT beat the offense to the spot.
With the contact squarely in the chest (I understand that's not the rule), it is hard for me to see it that way.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This is just my opinion, but I think those who would call this a block expect too much from defenders.
Precisely.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
With the contact squarely in the chest (I understand that's not the rule), it is hard for me to see it that way.
Taking contact in the chest is not relevant if the defender never got 2 feet down while facing the opponent....and that is the point I'm making. I'm not sure he did.

And, while I've been arguing the point of view supporting a block, I'd probably have a charge in the game....close enough to legal for me that I'd not be able to tell otherwise in real time.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 02:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Then we will disagree. No skin off my nose.
If there is skin off your nose, I can give you some of mine as I happen to agree with you...and will add that I think your comment about expecting too much from the defender is spot on, and is one of the big problems I see with officiating in my area (it's probably not a problem in that one certain area of Illinois, though).
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only that they beat the offense to the spot to get a charge.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Is that required by rule?
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 03:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The picture you reference is well before the contact. Since it's not an airborne shooter, I'm just looking for feet down facing the ball handler before contact. And IMO, this is satisfied.

I thought we agreed to disagree.