The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Varsity Girls tonight

Both teams have a losing record, both coaches are loud crybabies. Also, my partner is not the type to "take care of business" when needed, no one in the chapter likes officiating with her. I don't mind officiating with her, I just wish she'd do a little more sometimes, especially since she's been officiating for 20+ years. Any word of advice?

I leave in about 15 minutes to go watch the JV game and, hopefully, have a pregame in the stands with my partner if she shows up early enough (she probably won't). We will have separate locker-rooms (obviously) and we may not have any other opportunity to do a pregame except in the stands.

Lastly, this is my first LEAGUE varsity match, fourth or fifth overall.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Do your job. Take care of your business. Help her out when needed. Let her handle her own crap. Have fun!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:34pm
This IS My Social Life

This Might Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Both teams have a losing record, both coaches are loud crybabies. Also, my partner is not the type to "take care of business" when needed, no one in the chapter likes officiating with her. I don't mind officiating with her, I just wish she'd do a little more sometimes, especially since she's been officiating for 20+ years. Any word of advice?
Yes.
Tell her to join this forum and when she reads your post she'll get the message.
Or at least it might work for next time.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

haha for all I know, she could be on this forum silently
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I leave in about 15 minutes to go watch the JV game and, hopefully, have a pregame in the stands with my partner if she shows up early enough (she probably won't). We will have separate locker-rooms (obviously) and we may not have any other opportunity to do a pregame except in the stands.

Lastly, this is my first LEAGUE varsity match, fourth or fifth overall.
Step up when needed. If she won't take care of it, you do it. Be the R.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

She's listed as the R, but from what others have told me that worked with her in Varsity matches only, she usually tells the other official to be the R, and she's allowed to do that apparently.

If she does, I'll do it proudly haha. I'm off to the game now, I'll jump on here from my phone if I'm able to every now and then before the Varsity match. Thanks for the advice!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2013, 06:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
She's listed as the R, but from what others have told me that worked with her in Varsity matches only, she usually tells the other official to be the R, and she's allowed to do that apparently.

If she does, I'll do it proudly haha. I'm off to the game now, I'll jump on here from my phone if I'm able to every now and then before the Varsity match. Thanks for the advice!
Match? I had to look at the sport to make sure I wasn't in the wrong forum.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Varsity Girls...

blow out... final score was something like 48-15... ish... I don't doubt any that the total free-throws attempted was around 15-20 shots. However, despite the ugliness (was this a Varsity or Junior High match?), my partner and I did a great job keeping it under control. I've even gotten a great compliment from both coaches and the game manager who is a former boys' varsity coach for 20+ years at the hosting school.

It was an "easy game" per se, however, I think even with a close game, I couldn't have handled it any better. I got another varsity girls game later this month that should be a very close one, as long as no top players get injured these next two weeks. That match should be a decent test of my ability, especially with my partner being my (arrogant) mentor for all of these years.

Only time will tell...........
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 06:35am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Also, my partner is not the type to "take care of business" when needed, no one in the chapter likes officiating with her. I don't mind officiating with her, I just wish she'd do a little more sometimes, especially since she's been officiating for 20+ years.
Quote:
However, despite the ugliness (was this a Varsity or Junior High match?), my partner and I did a great job keeping it under control. I've even gotten a great compliment from both coaches and the game manager who is a former boys' varsity coach for 20+ years at the hosting school.
Hmm, seems like she did just fine....... Every game is a new one.......
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 08:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Foster's, It's Australian For Beer, Mate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Match? I had to look at the sport to make sure I wasn't in the wrong forum.
Match? Sounds like my Australian son-in-law, who attended a baseball "match" at Yankee Stadium last season.

Also, my daughter is from China. I have more trouble understanding my son-in-law's accent than I do with my daughter-in-law's, who is not a native English speaker. Anybody want to guess what "football" means in Australia? There's not one answer, and none of them are soccer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 09, 2013 at 09:05am.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2013, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Anybody want to guess what "football" means in Australia?
...footy?
Richland, WA