The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 12:53pm
This IS My Social Life

1 Pt. Safety--Anything Similarly Rare in Basketball?

Kudos to our football brethren for getting that call (which I, anyway, had never heard of before) correct.
Anything you know of equally as obscure in basketball for which you and I ought be prepared?
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

How bout the coach who says, "Thank you for correctly observing my player fouling our opponent. I appreciate your efforts tonight in making this a safe and fair experience for our players, coaches and fans. Sportsmanship and teaching our players to be good citizens both on and off the court is my number one priority in coaching and I always make sure that I set an example."
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 01:04pm
Esteemed Participant

I have had one 5 point play in my 20++ years of officiating...made 3 pointer with a 2 hand shove in the chest while shooter was still airborne. Made both free throws for the Int. foul and we had a 5 point play. Not as rare as that Safety, but doesn't happen very often.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Shooter gets fouled while in the act of shooting, the ball goes in, I waive off the basket, and give the shooter 2 shots. Not very common, but I've had it happen 2-3 times over the years. How? The shooter traveled prior to releasing the shot.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 01:42pm
Official & Member

I was going to mention a 5 point play I had last season (or maybe two years ago) but rockyroad beat me to it. The other occurence I had was a game where the winning team in a V-boys game I did several years ago did not attempt a single free throw. I didn't realize it until reading about it in the newspaper the next day.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 01:51pm
This IS My Social Life

Saw a Ditto of This in Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
...did not attempt a single free throw....
I saw that in a large-school state tournament semi-final game last year in our state. I even went over the video of the entire game to see what our officials missed in an attempt to see why no free throws were ever shot, and they didn't miss a call on any drive or attempted shot. This normally hot-shooting outside shooting team never attempted any drives to the hoop, and on a terrifically cold-shooting low-foul count day they lost badly.
Not necessary an "obscure rule" story, but significantly rare, nonetheless.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 01:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
How bout the coach who says, "Thank you for correctly observing my player fouling our opponent. I appreciate your efforts tonight in making this a safe and fair experience for our players, coaches and fans. Sportsmanship and teaching our players to be good citizens both on and off the court is my number one priority in coaching and I always make sure that I set an example."
If I ever heard a coach say this, my first thought would be that I forgot to take my meds - for at least a month.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Kudos to our football brethren for getting that call (which I, anyway, had never heard of before) correct.
Anything you know of equally as obscure in basketball for which you and I ought be prepared?
0:00 on the clock but the horn has not sounded.

I've had it once in 24 years.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:08pm
Official & Member

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Shooter gets fouled while in the act of shooting, the ball goes in, I waive off the basket, and give the shooter 2 shots. Not very common, but I've had it happen 2-3 times over the years. How? The shooter traveled prior to releasing the shot.
Wouldn't the ball be dead once the travel is called (or occured)? Thus, no shot attempt if it occured prior to release?
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If the traveling occurred before the foul and the shot, then the ball is dead. No FTs.

Unless you assess a intentional technical foul and if so, why does the "shooter" get the FTs??

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 02:15pm.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
If the traveling occurred before the foul and the shot, then the ball is dead. No FTs.

Unless you assess a intentional technical foul and if so, why does the "shooter" get the FTs??
Foul occurred while in the act of shooting, then the travel (probably caused by the foul), then the release.

Picture a layup where the shooter has gathered the ball and is moving to shoot it but is bumped. In response to the bump, they're a bit off balance and take and extra step or two before releasing the ball.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 02:22pm.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, that makes better sense.

Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I have had one 5 point play in my 20++ years of officiating...made 3 pointer with a 2 hand shove in the chest while shooter was still airborne. Made both free throws for the Int. foul and we had a 5 point play. Not as rare as that Safety, but doesn't happen very often.
Have had this a couple times when airborne shooter (3 point attempt) got hit hard enough to level them, resulting in an intentional foul. In one instance the shooter was injured and the replacement made both FT's.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 03:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

As Time Goes By ...

Quote:
0:00 on the clock but the horn has not sounded. I've had it once in 24 years.
Three, or four, times in thirty-two years, with those old fashioned mechanical scoreboards. In all cases I had to ask the timekeeper if the "automatic horn" was on, or off. In same cases it would be off, he would turn it on, the horn would sound, and the period would be over. In other cases, where the "automatic horn" would be off, he would turn it on, and the horn wouldn't sound, leaving us to play a little bit more to end the period.

Can this happen with the new fangled digital scoreboards?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 03:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
0:00 on the clock but the horn has not sounded.

I've had it once in 24 years.
Me too. Once, almost 10 years ago now. I can tell you the school I was at, and it was 3 in the afternoon. lol