The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:23am
Back from the DL

Pregame: Ditto?

Friday night: JVG.
Saturday morning: MS pair, same partner, we split R/U duties.
Also same partner as freshmen pair last weekend. We've had 4-5 games together this year, about a dozen total.

What's left to say in pre-game?
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:58am
We don't rent pigs

If you are familiar with the teams you have that night you can discuss areas which may require special attention.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 08:17am
Do not give a damn!!

I would still reiterate what is important and the basics. Then talk about the teams or situations you could have done better or that maybe you missed in the previous games. I doubt you had perfect games so you can think of something you could have done better.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I've worked with the same partner 5 games this season, we just go over anything we've seen while working together, what we want to work on in this game and if we have any information about the teams.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 10:52am
I miss being on the floor

Where you're going for cold ones afterwards (maybe not after the morning games, but hey it's five o clock somewhere, right?)

But yeah, as others have said, any information about the teams, any issues that have come up in the past, maybe a strange play that happened to you, (not necessarily while working with that partner).

I always used to ask that question about strange plays, and 9 times out of 10 it sparked a response and a good discussion.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 10:57am
TODO: creative title here

Discuss any strange plays/situations from previous games (especially ones you worked with different partners). If you don't have any, maybe use a situation or two from threads on this message board (I've done that several times in the past).

Anything from your last game(s) with that partner that you guys did poorly (or well).
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:04am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
What you should do in case the timer blows the horn during a FT attempt.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 11:10am
This IS My Social Life

Some Old Habits are Good Habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would still reiterate what is important and the basics. Then talk about the teams or situations you could have done better or that maybe you missed in the previous games. I doubt you had perfect games so you can think of something you could have done better.

Peace
+1
Our regular crew's pregame in late February is the same as it was in late November. Reiterating all the items on our pregame list gives us the opportunity to confirm that we are giving due attention to the "routine" things we otherwise might take for granted and get lazy about. Plus, we sometimes have a fill-in third official, and the routine of a complete, consistent pregame agenda helps get all of us on the same wavelength for that game.
I've been the fill-in on crews before, where the other two just say, "We don't need to do a pregame anymore...we work together all the time." That doesn't do much for the third guy. Plus, those are the crews whose casualness about pregame shows when they get out of the floor. Habits set in which didn't have a chance to get curbed due to same guys working together all the time without opportunity for self-checking.
For two-person crews, it's the same.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 08:54pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
+1
Our regular crew's pregame in late February is the same as it was in late November. Reiterating all the items on our pregame list gives us the opportunity to confirm that we are giving due attention to the "routine" things we otherwise might take for granted and get lazy about. Plus, we sometimes have a fill-in third official, and the routine of a complete, consistent pregame agenda helps get all of us on the same wavelength for that game.
I've been the fill-in on crews before, where the other two just say, "We don't need to do a pregame anymore...we work together all the time." That doesn't do much for the third guy. Plus, those are the crews whose casualness about pregame shows when they get out of the floor. Habits set in which didn't have a chance to get curbed due to same guys working together all the time without opportunity for self-checking.
For two-person crews, it's the same.
How long do you spend actually on pregame stuff? I have found 15 minutes is maybe, just barely enough time, especially with new partners.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 06:41am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
How long do you spend actually on pregame stuff? I have found 15 minutes is maybe, just barely enough time, especially with new partners.
15-20 minutes
Maybe more if with a partner new to the crew
Fortunate here because any new partner would already be quite familiar with the items to be covered--we aren't starting from "square one" on every little thing
Not every agenda item on the pregame necessitates discussion, only a reminder and confirmation from all on the crew
If we, due to familiarity with each other, give it the "short shrift", that gives a bad example to the JV officials sitting in

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jan 06, 2013 at 06:45am.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Also same partner as freshmen pair last weekend. We've had 4-5 games together this year, about a dozen total.

I think of it this way.....when I fly, I definitely want my pilots to follow the pre-flight checklist. I don't want them saying: "u know what - we've flown together before. Screw it. Lets just go..."
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 12:14pm
(Something hilarious)

What JRut said re: anything from previous games that you would've liked to have handled better or could be discussed; what JtheU said about strange or interesting scenarios either of you have had/seen in other games; and what strange/difficult/interesting other things that either of you have heard about this year in other people's games that could be learning opportunities.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

In all of our sports we ask: "What is the worst thing that could happen on this play?" Discuss and be ready for all possibilities.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post

Many of the veterans here are famiiar with one of our posters here: Daryl H. Long (aka "The Preacher"). Daryl and I have officiated together (everything from boys and girls' Jr.H.S. to H.S. Varsity, men's and women's college, AAU and YBOA Boy's and Girls' Nationals, and Special Olympics) for over 20 years; we also taught the beginning officiating class for WCOBA during the time and he was a long time evaluator of women's officials in the MAC. We still have pre-games on our drives to games.

For many years we officiated in the Starter's Girls' Summer Classic in Hartford, CT (which is a 13 to 14 hour drive from Toledo). Daryl will tell you that we even have pregames for this tournament: As soon as we leave for Hartford, he asks me a rules question and by the time I finish answering his question we have arrived at our hotel in Hartford, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 10:19pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I think of it this way.....when I fly, I definitely want my pilots to follow the pre-flight checklist. I don't want them saying: "u know what - we've flown together before. Screw it. Lets just go..."
I was about to post this exact same analogy.

Pilots go through a pre-flight checklist, regardless of how long they have flown, or whether they are flying with the same crew as they did the last 12 flights or it if is a new crew.

Checklists are powerful and help us to get in the right mindset — to remind us of those things that we already know, and to reiterate those things in our minds. You know, so that we can attempt to prevent travesties and fiascos.

If you are interested in how the dedication to checklists for pilots arose, or the real reason that David Lee Roth used to demand a bowl of M&M's with all the brown ones removed (hint: it wasn't because he was a primadonna), take a look at The Checklist Manifesto.