The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Arrow What's Your Pregame?

So yea, it's about that time of season when we prepare ourselves for the season. One of the biggest thing our local board emphasizes is the Officials Pre-Game. I was looking online to see if I could find a decent PDF of a Pre-Game script-type deal, but came up empty handed.

So what's your Officials Pre-Game?
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 07:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
While a bit verbose.....

Here's a good place to start (from our friend BillyMac)

Pre-game
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 09:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

BillyMac's Short Version ...

PREGAME CONFERENCE

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Post play. Illegal screens at elbows

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area “works the arc”. Rebound coverage. Drives starting in primary.
Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending. Bring subs in

Stay in your primary, it must be obvious to come out of your primary. Seldom should have four eyes on
the ball. If something is there that needs to be called, call it. We’re not going to have too many double
whistles if we are doing this right. Keep in mind your boundary line responsibilities and last second
shot responsibilities. Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds or where the foul is.

On double whistles, let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal.
Make eye contact with each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the
lead official, unless you definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll
talk about it.

For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to
you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If you don't know, give me
a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you
saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

On throwins, count five players each team, check the table, check the clock, good eye contact before putting
ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Be consistent with each other. Let’s try to remember what we’ve called earlier in the game, and what we
haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game.

Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time to shoot the bonus. If we
know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more likely to remember our shooter.
Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

Check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. Check the clock every time it
should start to make sure it does so.

Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with
the way we’ve been calling the game. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t
already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. If the game dictates it, let the
players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring
obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the
free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn't get hit harder
to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if
the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an
intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

Discuss coaches personalities and how to manage them. Scorebook at 12:00. Coaches and captains meeting
at 5:00: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship, Adhere
to the restrictions, as well as the privileges,of the coaching box.

NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES:
During state championship series contests, game or replay officials are permitted to use a replay monitor to
determine when a try for goal at the expiration of time in the fourth quarter or any overtime period (0:00
on the game clock) should be counted, and if so, determine if it is a two- or a three-point goal.
When a red light behind the backboard or an LED light on the backboard is present, it is permitted to signal
the expiration of time in the quarter/extra period. If no red/LED light is present, the audible timer’s
signal will continue to signal the expiration of time.
Clarified that the imaginary rectangle designates the area to be used for time-outs.
A note was added to clarify when the 20-second interval begins to replace an injured player.
Clarified that any item, in the referee’s judgment, that constitutes a safety concern is not permitted.
Clarified that a player leaves a marked lane space when he or she contacts any part of the court outside the
marked lane space (36 inches by 36 inches).
Clarified that a player occupying a marked lane space must have one foot positioned near the outer edge of
the free-throw lane line with the other foot positioned anywhere within the designated 36 inch lane space.

NFHS POINTS OF EMPHASIS:
1. Traveling
2. Closely guarded
3. Three-seconds
4. Block/Charge
5. Free-throw administration

CONNECTICUT MECHANICS:
Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.
Team members are not allowed to congregate at midcourt during introductions. Officials will direct players
to free throw line area in front of respective benches.
Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Secretary, or Commissioner the next day.
Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur from 5 to 10 minutes prior to start of
game. If the head coach refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Secretary or Commissioner, who will
notify the school Athletic Director and CIAC.

IAABO MECHANICS CHANGES
Verbalize “designated spot” for designated spot throwin.
Always hand ball to player on frontcourt endline.
Keep hand away from face when reporting foul to table.
Switch on all fouls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 23, 2009, 09:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

BillyMac's Long Version (For Rookies) ...

Coaches And Captains
Players properly equipped. Players wear uniforms properly. Practice good sportsmanship.

Lead’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area. Post play. Illegal screens at elbows.

Trail’s Primary Responsibilities
Primary coverage area “works the arc”. Weak side rebound coverage. Drives starting in primary.
Last second shot, basket interference, goaltending. Bring subs in.

Stay In Your Primary, It Must Be Obvious To Come Out Of Your Primary
If something is there that needs to be called, call it. Seldom should have four eyes on the ball. We’re
not going to have too many double whistles if we are doing this right. Keep in mind your boundary line
responsibilities and last second shot responsibilities. Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds,
or where the foul is.

Out-Of-Bounds Help
For out-of-bounds help, let's get it right. Come together for a change if needed. If I have no idea and I look to
you for help, just give a directional signal. No need to come to me. Just point. If you don't know, give me
a jump ball signal. If I signal but I get it wrong then blow the whistle and come to me. Tell me what you
saw and let me decide if I’m going to change it.

Two-Point / Three-Point Shot
If one official incorrectly signals the number of points, the other official will simply blow the whistle
immediately, discuss the play with our partner, come to a decision, signal the correct number of points
to the table, and resume the game. We will only correct if we are 100% sure.

Last Second Shot
Let’s let each other know when there’s less than a minute in each period. 99% of the time, the Trail will
Be responsible for the call. Let’s both have an opinion in case Trail’s not sure. How will we handle a
full-court pass when the Trail is stuck in the backcourt?

Goaltending And Basket Interference
99% of the time, the Trail will be responsible for the call. Lead can help out on a quick shot in transition,
when Trail hasn’t made it into the frontcourt yet. Let’s remember that it’s never basket interference or
goaltending to slap the backboard. Coaches and fans always want it, but we can’t award the points.

Backcourt
The four elements for having this violation are: there must be team control; the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must be the last to touch the ball in frontcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after the ball has been in the backcourt.

Press Coverage
Help each other. New Lead will wait at midcourt.

Throw Ins
On throwins, count five players each team, check the table, check the clock, good eye contact before putting
ball in play. A hand up in the air by the off official means not ready.

Timeout Mechanics
When the ball is dead, we must be alive. Team calling timeout must have player dribbling or holding the
ball. Both officials must know the game situation when play resumes following a timeout (team, direction,
spot or run baseline, shooter, number of shots). One official at spot of throwin or free throw line with ball
facing direction in which it will be put into play. Other official at division line, quarter for 30 second and
three quarters for 60 second.

Game Situation Awareness
We should quickly check the clock after every whistle to make sure the clock stops properly. We should
check the clock every time it should start to make sure it does so. Let’s try to be aware of the foul count
during the game. Communicate at sixth and ninth fouls. We don’t want to be surprised when it’s time
to shoot the bonus. If we know that the next foul will result in bonus free throws, then we’ll be more
likely to remember our shooter. Off official should help identifying free throw shooter.

Traveling
Determine the pivot foot immediately. At the start of the dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. After the dribble has ended, the player may lift pivot foot, but must release the ball on a pass or shot before the pivot foot returns to floor. A player may never take two steps while in possession of the ball.

Ball-Handler / Hand-Checking
Places both hands on a ball-handler, it is a foul. Continuously places a hand on the ball-handler, it is a foul.
Continuously jabs a hand or forearm on a ball-handler, it is a foul. Remember RSBQ. If the dribbler’s
Rhythm, Speed, Balance, or Quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul.

Post Play
Let’s not allow a defender to use a leg or knee to move a player off the block. Let’s make sure the offensive
player isn’t holding off the defender, or holding him with his off-hand. As Lead, let’s find the post matchup
as soon as possible so that we get the first foul. Remember RIDD. Don’t let players Redirect, Impede,
Displace, or Dislodge.

Screens
We must work hard off the ball. In the first half especially, let’s clean up the screening action. The screening
action will be right in front of the defensive coach in the first half, so if the coach sees an illegal screen, we
should too.

Pass And Crash
Let’s have the Lead official follow the pass, stay with the ball. The Trail will be responsible for the crash.

Double Whistles
Let’s both hold our preliminary signal and not give a block or player control signal. Make eye contact with
each other. Give the call to whoever has the primary coverage, most often the lead official, unless you
definitely have something different that happened first, in which case we’ll talk about it.

Foul Mechanics
Preliminary signal given at spot of foul for all common fouls. Calling official must designate throwin spot
or number of shots. Noncalling official, get the shooter. If the ball enters the basket, inform partner that
ball went in.

Technical Fouls
If I T a coach, get me away from the coach. The situation is heated and I don’t want to whack the coach
back-to-back. Let’s move away from the benches. Non calling official should inform the coach that the
coaching box privilege has been lost. Let’s get together and make sure we administer the penalty or penalties
correctly and in the correct order and at the correct basket. If one official issues a warning to somebody,
player, or coach, make sure the other official knows. If I’ve already warned the coach, the coach shouldn’t
get a free shot at you.

Consistency
Let’s see if we can call the same game. Be consistent with each other. Let’s try to remember what we’ve called
earlier in the game, and what we haven’t called. Be consistent with what has already happened in the game.

Last Two Minutes
Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with
the way we’ve been calling the game. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t
already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored. If the game dictates it, let the
players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be the ones who decide the game by ignoring
obvious fouls just to get the game over. If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the
free throws after strategic fouls, then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder
to draw a whistle. Let’s make sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if
the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an
intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

Effort And Attitude
Every game is the most important game being played anywhere tonight for these kids, fans, and coaches.
Let’s make sure we officiate the game keeping that in mind, through effort, and attitude.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)