The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

horn or light

When there is a light on the backboard do you go by the horn or the light on a last second shot.

I know they are suppose to be tied together but technology does break down. What are your thoughts?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 01:48pm
M.A.S.H.

5-6-2
Each quarter or extra period ends when the signal illuminates or sounds indicating time has expired, as in 1-14.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Even if they are tied together, the speed of light and the speed of the sound are not the same. Depending on the location of the horn and the size of the gym/arena the sound might be delayed just a bit relative to the light.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 02:29pm
We don't rent pigs

Hopefully they are close enough together that you can't separate the two. But if you can, the quarter ends on whichever happens first.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
When there is a light on the backboard do you go by the horn or the light on a last second shot.

I know they are suppose to be tied together but technology does break down. What are your thoughts?
NCAA: zeros, light, horn.

FED: light, horn.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA ruling:

Art. 4. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game clock is to be used to determine whether a try for goal, a shot-clock violation or a foul occurred before or after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is not visible, the officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). When the red/LED light(s) are not visible, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be utilized.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 03:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

For NCAA:

5-7 Art. 2.

Each period shall end when the red light or LED lights have become activated. When the light fails to operate or is not visible, each period shall end with the sounding of the game-clock horn.

a. In games when the red light is not present, the game-clock horn shall terminate players' activity.

b. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game clock is to be used to determine whether a try for goal occurred before or after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is not visible, the officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). When the red/LED light(s) are not visible, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be used. When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the original call stands.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
NCAA ruling:

Art. 4. In games with a 10th-of-a-second game clock display and where an official courtside monitor is used, the reading of zeros on the game clock is to be used to determine whether a try for goal, a shot-clock violation or a foul occurred before or after the expiration of time in any period. When the game clock is not visible, the officials shall verify the original call with the use of the red/LED light(s). When the red/LED light(s) are not visible, the sounding of the game-clock horn shall be utilized.
If there is no courtside monitor we go with 5-7-2, correct?

99% of colleges have scoreboards with 1/10th second clocks. Most do not have courtside monitors.

But I always thought 5-7-2b and 2.13.4 only apply to the actual review, not the on-court ruling.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 03:20pm.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If there is no courtside monitor we go with 5-7-2, correct?
Yep. No monitor = red/LED lights rules, which means we'll very rarely see that in a Div. I game since the vast majority have monitors available due to TV or internet broadcasts.

Quote:
But I always thought 5-7-2b and 2.13.4 only apply to the actual review, not the on-court ruling.
I would think these go hand-in-hand, no? The crew would come up with its ultimate ruling based on the review.

Quote:
99% of colleges have scoreboards with 1/10th second clocks.
Actually all NCAA gyms/arenas have clocks that show tenths of seconds. By rule they have to. This is from the rules supplement in the '12-13 rule book.

Quote:
Timing Equipment. Divisions I, II, and III schools shall have a game clock that shows a 10th-of-a-second display when less than 59.9 seconds remains in a period.
Division I, II, and III schools shall have either a red light placed behind each backboard that is visible through the 24-inch-by-18-inch rectangle or LED lights around the backboard.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Jan 04, 2013 at 11:12pm.