The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 04, 2013, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

At the end of the game, the entire crew should have awareness of the clock. In a fullcourt press situation, the lead needs to help as they usually have little to no pressure and can ensure the clock starts properly. If the clock doesn't start, someone needs to kill the game right away unless a shot is imminent. I think you did the best that you could with the situation (other than not talking about it during the timeout).

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Worked a VG game last night...H team is down 3, V team fouls to send H to line for 1 and 1 with 2.8 remaining. (good coaching move by the way). Girl makes first and H coach calls time out. We get together real quick, discuss lane violations and shot hitting the rim assuming he will have her miss the shot. We forget to discuss one thing...clock starting.

Girl makes second shot...V team throws ball away on the inbounds..H steals, shoots, misses, rebounds shoots and makes it to win. Place is going nuts since H team won...until we wave it off.

No complaints from H coach since it was clear it took more than 2.8 seconds and we were actually blowing it dead as the second shot went up..but lesson learned on things to communicate in that situation.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Recently I have had way more than I ever expected partners tell me when a team is down to 1 time out or none or when a player has 4 fouls. I try my best to tell that I don't care about this and that I don't want updates like this I get a funny look. Not sure about you guys out there but do any of you care about these pieces of information?

I'm still going to grant a coach a TO if they have none, and I'm still going to call that fifth foul if/when the kid commits it.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Than Uncorrectable Errors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Recently I have had way more than I ever expected partners tell me when a team is down to 1 time out or none or when a player has 4 fouls. I try my best to tell that I don't care about this and that I don't want updates like this I get a funny look. Not sure about you guys out there but do any of you care about these pieces of information? I'm still going to grant a coach a TO if they have none, and I'm still going to call that fifth foul if/when the kid commits it.
I do like partners that remind me when a team reaches six, or nine, team fouls each half. I really hate correctable errors. Correctable errors, by definition, can be corrected, but it still looks bad, even after the error is corrected.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 01:50pm.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I do like partners that remind me when a team reaches six, or nine, team fouls each half. I really hate correctable errors. Correctable errors, by definition, can be corrected, but it still looks bad, even after the error is corrected.
This is different and usually at the end of games (at least I have worked) we are already in the bonus. But this is just normal communication during a game. This thread has been focusing on "special" end of game type communications.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2013, 08:49pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
This is different and usually at the end of games (at least I have worked) we are already in the bonus. But this is just normal communication during a game. This thread has been focusing on "special" end of game type communications.
So as for the OP, what is the best way to handle the situation if the clock doesn't start properly. If they make a steal or a shot that you whistle dead, one of the coaches is going to be irate. Do you just reset the play to what it should be like as if nothing happened?
Old Sun Jan 06, 2013, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Nope. I always keep the time in my head in this situation and clean up the issue after the fact. No do overs. If in my count the score is good then count it, if not wave it off.

either way, there is a distinct possibility, that one of the coaches will be irate. That's the case in plenty of games we work.