Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 09:46am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by the24kid View Post
I didn't give the t... but its a pretty good story. Got a last minute call to do a big varsity 730 tilt on a Friday night.. team a is a big AA school with a big ole loud mouth, unpopular to the refs coach, against an A team... since the A team was home.. turns into a 2 man game rather then a 3 man had it been at the AA school.. working with a big time ref.. this is my big break so I'm nervous as you could imagine... got a lot of tips from fellow refs who worked games for this clown... so I had a good idea how I was going to approach the situation if anything arose...

The game was a good up and down contest.. the whole first quarter and mid second quarter go without incident. Team A has a big 6'5 linebacking looking kid who gets the ball down the weak side post... I come ball side and team AA has a little guy come from behind and whack down on team A big man... I come up with the foul... I could have passed on it because it was ball/little arm but I blew and came out strong. Coach AA was not too happy(but he never is with officials)... I went and reported... went to my position as it was one and one...

The next thing I hear is TWEEEETTT technical foul... "But I wasn't talking to you... I was talking to him.. why can't he defend himself?" Turns out that as I walked away.. the coach said to no one in particular... "Go back to the freshman level" My partner was obviously not having any of this and whacked him right away... Now the coach is notorious for this type of behavior but I thought it was great that the vet took care of his rook.. now the question is..

If you would have heard what the coach said as the rook how would you have reacted?

There were no other incidents from him the rest of the game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That's a T in my game. Would probably be my easiest T of the year.
If he was talking to his player, it would be as a sub is coming in for him.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Youth level: T to an assistant after stopping the game after a made FTA to tell the head coach (who was sitting next to the assistant at that moment) he is the only bench personnel I want to hear anything from during the game. Assistant looks at me and starts to laugh sarcastically out loud in a display of complete disrepect.

WHACK

In a youth game? I do close to 100 travel tournament/middle school games a year and haven't given a single "T" out in the last 3 years...Highschool is a different story but I get a kick out of guys that give "Ts" in youth sports...
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
In a youth game? I do close to 100 travel tournament/middle school games a year and haven't given a single "T" out in the last 3 years...Highschool is a different story but I get a kick out of guys that give "Ts" in youth sports...
I give more in those games. High school coaches just behave better and actually respond to warnings.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep. I demand respect from coaches at any level towards any crew I'm working with and hold coaches accountable. I don't go looking for opportunities to whack coaches, but, when the situation requires it, I won't hesitate.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Yep. I demand respect from coaches at any level towards any crew I'm working with and hold coaches accountable. I don't go looking for opportunities to whack coaches, but, when the situation requires it, I won't hesitate.
I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I don't run across many disrespectful coaches. I have worked in Maine and Montana primarily...two states full of nice coaches I guess! Either that or I don't give them reason to complain..lol..we all know that isn't the case!
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
1 on a coach for ABS.
For those of you not familiar with the term "ABS", it's a condition coaches have called "A$$ Brain Syndrome".
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
For those of you not familiar with the term "ABS", it's a condition coaches have called "A$$ Brain Syndrome".
I always knew that to mean "Accumulated BS."

But we know the other term works too.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 01:35pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I am finding that the longer I referee, the fewer "T"s I give. 4 years ago, it was 20 for the season about 60 games with church leagues and HS.

Last year I gave about 7 and I didn't have much of a choice. They were by the book Ts.

What I mean by that is, a kid yells the F word, a coach tried to show me up yelling at me, so forth and so on. I have avoided a few by being patient this year.

So far this year 1. That's about 20 games into the season.
I am backward this year. The first two years I gave out two total. This year, 6 so far, 3 each in two different games, all to players. For pushing after dead ball, word exchange etc. four of them were double techs.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

I had my first ever Flagrant and my first T for the year. T to HC for saying "You're a joke" after a foul call he didn't like.

Flagrant for a kid going up for a uncontested fast break layup where the defender (of the team that just couldn't keep the game close in the fourth) grabs the airborne player and throws him to the ground.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The lower the level the more T's. I think it's 2 things. They don't know better and they don't know how to listen when spoken to.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

interesting story somewhat

coach has been chipping a little partners and I discuss among ourselves that their bench has run out of warnings....play happens at mid court block charge easy block call goes in favor of the bench out of warnings....one of the assistants still finds it necessary to comment about the fact that had we called things earlier this wouldn't have happened....Partner issues a T....as he is getting ready to admnister it, his little buddy assistant, says and I quote "you don't even know who said it, that is another one you got wrong today" which earned him one from me....I signal then say (pointing to the first assistant) he was the one that spoke first and now this one is for you....two T's by different partners in 6 seconds or less LOL...
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 05:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
T to HC for saying "You're a joke" after a foul call he didn't like.
After you called it, did you laugh?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I wasn't that specific in my question... if you were in my situation and you had heard the coach telling YOU to go back to the freshman league.. how would you have reacted to him? I had a couple of different ideas... obviously one that included a T
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't that specific in my question... if you were in my situation and you had heard the coach telling YOU to go back to the freshman league.. how would you have reacted to him? I had a couple of different ideas... obviously one that included a T
The only right response is a technical foul. Anything else proves the coach's point.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2013, 06:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The fact that it was a personal comment is all you need to say. Good for you sticking that coach.

Peace