The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:29pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
hand signals and/or code words for switching shooters on foul shots, really? i suppose you are a birther and 9/11 truther as well! seriously, that has got to be one of the most ridiculous things i have read on this forum!
A previous post asked how Calipari could have had anything to do with it.

I answered his question. There's no evidence in the video to suggest that Calipari had anything to do with it, and I'm not making things up. I said I was speculating, though maybe that was a poor choice of words.

I'm not suggesting officials need to be on the lookout for such things. They have enough to worry about in games like that.

If this is the most ridiculous thing you've read on the forum, you haven't been around for very long.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
True, but you made sure we knew that Cal was apart of the switch-a-roo in your link comments. I am just stating that I am not seeing how he is the main person responsible. I know officials sometimes lose the shooter on a foul not shooting. And it happens with me from time to time unless there is a very distinctive (tattoos, height, hair style) identifier for the kid that was fouled. I am not ruling out anything, just stating that there are a lot of factors to this situation.

Peace
Jeff, come on. Quote me where I accuse Calipari of having anything to do with this!
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Jeff, come on. Quote me where I accuse Calipari of having anything to do with this!
Anytime you post a link, there is a place where you have the opportunity put the nature of the video or link in your own words.

This is the part that I am taking issue with[Video] | The Big Lead

Or the link would look like this.

It does not make me any difference, I am just stating you posted this video. I think there are holes in the way the situation is being made out to be that is all. And I am not one not to put much beyond a coach either.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:09pm

Quote:
Anytime you post a link, there is a place where you have the opportunity put the nature of the video or link in your own words.

This is the part that I am taking issue with[Video] | The Big Lead

Or the link would look like this.

It does not make me any difference, I am just stating you posted this video. I think there are holes in the way the situation is being made out to be that is all. And I am not one not to put much beyond a coach either.

Peace
I posted the link verbatim from the website. If anyone thinks that by leaving the link as is, I am in any way agreeing with said link, then they are incredibly naive.

If I must edit the link of everything I post in order to be PC, then so be it. But don't put words in my mouth because I copied and pasted a link directly from another website.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I posted the link verbatim from the website. If anyone thinks that by leaving the link as is, I am in any way agreeing with said link, then they are incredibly naive.

If I must edit the link of everything I post in order to be PC, then so be it. But don't put words in my mouth because I copied and pasted a link directly from another website.
Don't take what I said so personally. I am just stating you posted the link and the video. I am giving you my perspective on the situation just like others did. It does not mean that what people see is right or wrong. It just means there are other explanations. But you cannot get upset with anyone when they do not see what you see. Again, this looks like a typical situation where the wrong player thinks they are shooting and we tell them that the right player should go to the line. It has happen several times over the years with me personally and I would not suspect anything different took place here with a coach that is on the other side of the court.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

I had PVR'd the game and went back to watch. On the broadcast, you can see referee Ed Corbett signaling the foul on #2 when reporting to the table. That part is clear.

As to whether Calipari had anything to do with it, I have no idea. I do know that a friend of mine played for a coach who encouraged his players to try and get away with that stuff. My friend did not play for Coach Cal though.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:21pm

Quote:
Don't take what I said so personally. I am just stating you posted the link and the video. I am giving you my perspective on the situation just like others did. It does not mean that what people see is right or wrong. It just means there are other explanations. But you cannot get upset with anyone when they do not see what you see. Again, this looks like a typical situation where the wrong player thinks they are shooting and we tell them that the right player should go to the line. It has happen several times over the years with me personally and I would not suspect anything different took place here with a coach that is on the other side of the court.

Peace
Your perspective is what I want. Not baseless accusations. It looks to me like some funny business happened. You don't agree? That's OK with me.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
I had PVR'd the game and went back to watch. On the broadcast, you can see referee Ed Corbett signaling the foul on #2 when reporting to the table. That part is clear.

As to whether Calipari had anything to do with it, I have no idea. I do know that a friend of mine played for a coach who encouraged his players to try and get away with that stuff. My friend did not play for Coach Cal though.
Well there's another piece to the puzzle. So Noel should have been at the line for sure, and not Poythress.

Either the officials screwed up by directing Poythress to the line, or Kentucky pulled a trick and got away with it.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Your perspective is what I want. Not baseless accusations. It looks to me like some funny business happened. You don't agree? That's OK with me.
That is what I gave you. You just did not accept it. And that is OK with me.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:31pm

I never told you that you are wrong, I argued back and forth with you.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I never told you that you are wrong, I argued back and forth with you.
I did not say I was right. I just do not see anything that suggests something nefarious took place on the coach's part. Who knows what the coach tells these guys behind closed doors. I just see nothing in the video and it appears I am seeing what others are seeing. And you are a IU fan and alum, so that tells me a lot of why you might think Coach Cal was up to something.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 06:48pm

Quote:
I did not say I was right. I just do not see anything that suggests something nefarious took place on the coach's part. Who knows what the coach tells these guys behind closed doors. I just see nothing in the video and it appears I am seeing what others are seeing. And you are a IU fan and alum, so that tells me a lot of why you might think Coach Cal was up to something.

Peace
Haha while my Hoosier fandom is no secret, rest assured it's not blinding.

The perception of Calipari is that he cheats OFF the court, not on it.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you at least read the article the second time around instead of just watching the video?
Ah, no. Like I said, I couldn't care less what the guy who wrote the article thinks. I simply looked at the video.

No doubt in my mind there was confusion on who was fouled.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Since I don't officiate basketball, I have a couple questions. What is the penalty for switching shooters? Is the penalty the same for NCAA and Fed?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 08:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcumpire View Post
Since I don't officiate basketball, I have a couple questions. What is the penalty for switching shooters? Is the penalty the same for NCAA and Fed?
NFHS If it is ruled an act of deception it is a technical foul.

Lonesome Dove