The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
Do you guys feel that the UCLA player made a legitimate attempt to play the ball?
Let's just say he didn't make the most legitimate attempt to play the ball that he could have. The swan dive by Pressey aside, I can't recall seeing an F1 called on a play like that in an NCAA game, men or women. An intentional in a HS game is another story.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
NCAA Question related to this play...

Mizzou coach had no timeouts..if he requests the crew to look at monitor and the foul is NOT upgraded to Flagrant 1...would he be charged a timeout and since he has NONE..would a T be assessed for excessive TO?
Yes, he would get the T.

Note that the coach may only request a monitor review to determine if there was an F2 personal or contact technical foul in NCAAM. In NCAAW, they can also request for an F1 personal or contact dead ball technical involving contact with an elbow above the shoulders. If the coach makes such a request, then the officials could decide that the foul was an F1 but not an F2. in this case, a timeout would still be charged since there was no F2 foul.

Here's the relevant portion of the rulebook:
Rule 2-13.2. Officials may use such available equipment only in the following situations:
d. Fouls.
1. Determine if a flagrant 2 personal foul, flagrant 2 contact technical foul or (women) flagrant 1 personal foul for illegal contact with an elbow above the shoulders of an opponent or a (women) contact dead ball technical foul for illegal contact with an elbow above the shoulders of an opponent occurred. When it is determined that a flagrant 2 contact technical foul did not occur but a flagrant 1 personal foul, or contact dead ball technical foul did occur, those fouls shall be penalized accordingly. However, no other infractions may be penalized.
b. A coach may request a monitor review to determine if any of the fouls in 2-13.2.d.1 occurred. When no such foul is assessed, a timeout shall be charged to that team.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

I do not have an intentional/F1...close but not quite.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:07am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I do not have an intentional/F1...close but not quite.
What's keeping you from going over the edge?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 10:40am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
What's keeping you from going over the edge?
Was the contact excessive or the result?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 10:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Was the contact excessive or the result?
I think the more pertinent question about this play is did the player make a legitimate enough attempt to play the ball?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:08am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
I think the more pertinent question about this play is did the player make a legitimate enough attempt to play the ball?
I agree with this as I dont believe the contact was excessive.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think yes. I think he reached for where he expected to the ball to be but the dribbler shifted it away from him. If you look at the view from the lead's position you can see the hand of the defender reaching beyond the body of the dribbler towards the ball. He didn't get it, but that doesn't mean he wasn't trying to get the ball.

Additionally, I look to see if the contact I see could cause the result that I see. I don't think it did. I think the dribbler embellished.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 01:11pm.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Just a common foul, due to the embellishment.

With a possible travel before the dribble begins.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 02:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think yes. I think he reached for where he expected to the ball to be but the dribbler shifted it away from him. If you look at the view from the lead's position you can see the hand of the defender reaching beyond the body of the dribbler towards the ball. He didn't get it, but that doesn't mean he wasn't trying to get the ball.

Additionally, I look to see if the contact I see could cause the result that I see. I don't think it did. I think the dribbler embellished.
I think that's about as thorough an explanation as we'll see. I see what you're saying, but I think he grabs Pressey around the waist with the same hand he reaches for the ball with, in addition to wrapping his hand around the backside too.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:55pm
Often wrong never n doubt

To those that say common foul due to embelishment, are you saying it would have been flgrant if not for the embellishment or are you saying it is common all the way and the embelishment makes it appear to be possibly flagrant?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

For some context, UCLA had 2 fouls with like 10 seconds to go. They intentionally fouled 3 times in about 4 seconds. This was their 4th foul in 5 seconds and their 6th team foul. So the fact that they were strategically intentionally fouling made this one look much worse. The ballhandler had a clear path to the basket on a last second type play and was grabbed by the waist by a defender that was out of position, this looks like an intentional (flagrant 1) to me. The ballhandler definitely embellished a bit, but I don't see how that makes any difference in this being a flagrant 1 or not.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Unless that defender knows some serious, mysterious judo, there's no way from how he contacted a balanced dribbler that he could have produced that outcome without some assistance from the dribbler. On an airborne shooter, maybe.

Nice acting job.
I agree. I am not seeing anything in the contact that would have pulled that guy like a rag doll. And his reaction afterwards suggests there was some funny business.

Maybe I just saw too much acting this weekend to trust what players do a lot of the time.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 05:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
for some context, ucla had 2 fouls with like 10 seconds to go. They intentionally fouled 3 times in about 4 seconds. This was their 4th foul in 5 seconds and their 6th team foul. So the fact that they were strategically intentionally fouling made this one look much worse. The ballhandler had a clear path to the basket on a last second type play and was grabbed by the waist by a defender that was out of position, this looks like an intentional (flagrant 1) to me. The ballhandler definitely embellished a bit, but i don't see how that makes any difference in this being a flagrant 1 or not.
+1

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 30, 2012, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The ballhandler had a clear path to the basket on a last second type play and was grabbed by the waist by a defender that was out of position, this looks like an intentional (flagrant 1) to me. The ballhandler definitely embellished a bit, but I don't see how that makes any difference in this being a flagrant 1 or not.
Clear path? Really? There were two more defenders between the point of the foul and the basket that could have easily cut him off and he only got by the 3rd defender as the foul was occurring.