The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

First time ever basket interference call, was I correct?

Hope all is well folks, first post in a very long time here....

Working a JV tournament yesterday of all things and A1 hits A2 in stride for a wide open layup. A2 goes to dunk the ball but misses it. Ball goes up in the air off the back rim then he grabs the rim and pulls it down. As the ball goes through the hoop I'm calling basket interference on A2, with appropriate static from JV coaches who never see a kid dunk on their level

I am 100% sure I'm right here, but it's the first time I can remember a kid missing a dunk and the ball going in after he grabs the rim. Pleas enlighten me as to the correctness of my call.

Thank you.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Hope all is well folks, first post in a very long time here....

Working a JV tournament yesterday of all things and A1 hits A2 in stride for a wide open layup. A2 goes to dunk the ball but misses it. Ball goes up in the air off the back rim then he grabs the rim and pulls it down. As the ball goes through the hoop I'm calling basket interference on A2, with appropriate static from JV coaches who never see a kid dunk on their level

I am 100% sure I'm right here, but it's the first time I can remember a kid missing a dunk and the ball going in after he grabs the rim. Pleas enlighten me as to the correctness of my call.

Thank you.
Hey JK...

Go through the criteria from Rule 4-6:

Quote:
Basket interference occurs when a player:
*Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.
*Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
*Touches the ball outside the cylinder while reaching through the basket from below.
*Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.
From your description it doesn't sound as though you had BI. What you could have had was a T on A2 for grasping the ring but that would depend on whether you thought he was protecting himself from injury.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Hey JK...

Go through the criteria from Rule 4-6:

From your description it doesn't sound as though you had BI. What you could have had was a T on A2 for grasping the ring but that would depend on whether you thought he was protecting himself from injury.
As I read the play, this part was violated:
Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post

Thank you.
If you are 100% sure you are right why are you asking?

This is a HTBT situation. If a player attempts to dunk and loses the ball above the rim in the process as they grab the rim then I'm inclined to have nothing. I've seen this play before.

If the player clearly releases the ball then subsequently grabs the rim while the ball is on or above the cylinder then I would have basket interference.

Without seeing the play its difficult to comment on whether you ruled correctly or not.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
If the player ... grabs the rim while the ball is .. above the cylinder then I would have basket interference.
Are you sure that this is basket interference?

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 12:19pm.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
As I read the play, this part was violated:
Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket
Agreed. The rim is pulled down and the ball enters the basket, basket interference. Good call!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
If you are 100% sure you are right why are you asking?

This is a HTBT situation. If a player attempts to dunk and loses the ball above the rim in the process as they grab the rim then I'm inclined to have nothing. I've seen this play before.

If the player clearly releases the ball then subsequently grabs the rim while the ball is on or above the cylinder then I would have basket interference.

Without seeing the play its difficult to comment on whether you ruled correctly or not.
He's not asking what you're "inclined" to call. He's asking if he ruled correctly on the play based on his description. The answer is yes.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Bktballref. There is a case book play on this as well stating that it is offensive BI.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 01:37pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I agree with Bktballref. There is a case book play on this as well stating that it is offensive BI.
Me too, and thanks to JetMetFan for posting the BI criteria to facilitate the discussion.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 03:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This One ???

Quote:
9.11.2 SITUATION B: A1 throws the ball into the basket from above, but from
outside the cylinder. A1’s hand loses contact with the ball before the ball enters
the cylinder. However, on the follow-through, A1’s hand enters the cylinder and
again contacts the ball. RULING: Violation. It is not a violation for a player to have
a hand within the cylinder above the basket provided it is not touching the ball.
The rules do allow a player to carry the ball into the cylinder above the ring or
place the ball into the basket itself. It is basket interference; however, when a player
touches the ball or the basket when the ball is in or on the basket, or touches
the ball while any portion of the ball is touching the cylinder directly above the
basket and the player did not carry the ball into the cylinder or basket. (4-6)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 03:13pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Thought I was familiar with this case play, but I can't seem to locate it.

Where is it?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I didn't factor in the part in the OP that said the ball went in, meaning it still had to be in the cylinder. Nice call, JK!
Contacting the rim whil the ball is in the cylinder is nothing (assuming the grasp itself was legal).

Contacting the rim while the ball is on or in the basket is BI.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 06:01pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Contacting the rim while the ball is in the cylinder is nothing (assuming the grasp itself was legal).
I have had to pull out the book to convince (veteran) partners that this is nothing. They were thinking of contacting the ball while it is in the cylinder and extended it to contacting anything....
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Contacting the rim whil the ball is in the cylinder is nothing (assuming the grasp itself was legal).

Contacting the rim while the ball is on or in the basket is BI.
Good Lord...one of these days I'll remember to trust myself when I write.

That being the case...no BI. The OP doesn't say the rim made contact with the ball as it (the rim) returned to its normal position nor does it say A2 touched the ball while it was in the cylinder. A2 was allowed to be in contact with the ball on the initial shot because he was attempting a dunk.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 08:38pm.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That being the case...no BI. The OP doesn't say the rim made contact with the ball as it (the rim) returned to its normal position nor does it say A2 touched the ball while it was in the cylinder. A2 was allowed to be in contact with the ball on the initial shot because he was attempting a dunk.
A2 has pulled the rim down. When the ball enters the basket before the rim returns to it's proper position, that's BI.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:45pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
A2 has pulled the rim down. When the ball enters the basket before the rim returns to it's proper position, that's BI.
Even if it doesn't touch the rim?

In the OP, it doesn't say whether it has returned when the ball enters or not.

Lonesome Dove