View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
Hope all is well folks, first post in a very long time here....

Working a JV tournament yesterday of all things and A1 hits A2 in stride for a wide open layup. A2 goes to dunk the ball but misses it. Ball goes up in the air off the back rim then he grabs the rim and pulls it down. As the ball goes through the hoop I'm calling basket interference on A2, with appropriate static from JV coaches who never see a kid dunk on their level

I am 100% sure I'm right here, but it's the first time I can remember a kid missing a dunk and the ball going in after he grabs the rim. Pleas enlighten me as to the correctness of my call.

Thank you.
Hey JK...

Go through the criteria from Rule 4-6:

Quote:
Basket interference occurs when a player:
*Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.
*Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.
*Touches the ball outside the cylinder while reaching through the basket from below.
*Pulls down a movable ring so that it contacts the ball before the ring returns to its original position.
From your description it doesn't sound as though you had BI. What you could have had was a T on A2 for grasping the ring but that would depend on whether you thought he was protecting himself from injury.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)