The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Were there some plays where you wish you had a third official....
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Cam -

For years they have played second fiddle to Dematha, but in the last 5 yrs they have evened the playing field. Coach is a class act.... Is this the tourney with all Jesuit schools....
There were 5 Catholic Schools, I suppose they may have all been Jesuit....
Jesuit HS of Portland/Beaverton, OR
Central Catholic of Portland, OR
Archbishop Mitty of San Jose, CA
Gonzaga College HS of Wash. DC
Neumann Goretti of Philadelphia, PA
The rest of the 16 team field were all public schools from NW Oregon or SW Washington.

The semi-finals include Jesuit, Gonzaga, Neumann, and a the public Lake Oswego.

Quote:
Would love to know how it went....
It was fun, both coaches were great...only minor comments here and there. All the players were great.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Were there some plays where you wish you had a third official....
YES!

Most prominent one was actually an OOB play....

I'm lead, table-side, ball is near my sideline and trapped (about the FT line extended). The ball is knocked away towards center court and I can't see through the players to the ball and stepping to the side more, I can't see through the coach either. I have no view of the ball. I'm waiting for possible help from my partner. I don't hear anything. He's not going to jump on an OOB call on my line unless it is in the 3rd row. I still don't see the ball but see the players and see where the ball is not along with the body language of the players and blow my whistle and make a call. I get it right, but it was highly uncomfortable....I actually guessed but felt I had to. Letting it set OOB with no whistle would have been worse.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
YES!

Most prominent one was actually an OOB play....

I'm lead, table-side, ball is near my sideline and trapped (about the FT line extended). The ball is knocked away towards center court and I can't see through the players to the ball and stepping to the side more, I can't see through the coach either. I have no view of the ball. I'm waiting for possible help from my partner. I don't hear anything. He's not going to jump on an OOB call on my line unless it is in the 3rd row. I still don't see the ball but see the players and see where the ball is not along with the body language of the players and blow my whistle and make a call. I get it right, but it was highly uncomfortable....I actually guessed but felt I had to. Letting it set OOB with no whistle would have been worse.
We work a really big conference here 2-person. We give it our absolute best, but there's always this feeling of "we would've been much better with a third official." You can only look at so many competitive matchups and so much off-the-ball stuff with just one off-ball set of eyes.

Of course our state still runs the first two rounds of the playoffs 2-person -- that has told these conferences that the state doesn't see 3-person officiating as a priority, so what's the hurry with going to 3 in the regular season? (This was actually said to me by two ADs in that big conference -- if the state made the move to 3-person throughout the playoffs, they'd go to 3-person in the regular season. The state won't, so they don't. End of story.)
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

As for this particular tourney, they're pretty tight on what they are willing to pay for. We bring in a few officials from around the state and they don't even pay for their lodging.
Hey Camron- Is BD up there calling? He said at last years 5A tourney that he goes up there sometimes. Oh yeah, and put in a good word for the little guy down on the South Coast would ya???
Old Fri Dec 28, 2012, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes2255 View Post
Hey Camron- Is BD up there calling? He said at last years 5A tourney that he goes up there sometimes. Oh yeah, and put in a good word for the little guy down on the South Coast would ya???
Not this year...the out of town slots are rotated around...the same guys only come back every 3-4 years. Maybe you're next!