The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Anybody get any christmas tourneys yet? We are suppose to get ours at the meeting tonight.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 04:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have had Christmas Tournaments for months now. Some of assignments were given a year ago. I did pick up a tournament recently because a friend of mine could not work the 4 days out of town based on a promotion he recently received at his normal job. So I am replacing him and signed a two year contract with this particular tournament. One of the biggest tournaments in my area is currently in the process of assigning for 2006. I have not worked that tournament list, but I am on the waiting list as I have been for about 5 years.

Why does it take them so long to schedule those tournaments? I would think the longer they wait, the harder it is for those to be available.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I think our case is because high schools havent decided what the are going to do. So, thats our problem.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 04:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
I think our case is because high schools havent decided what the are going to do. So, thats our problem.
Why would the schools not know what they are going to do?

In my state the schools have schedule restrictions. Schools have to know where they are going to play and without violating IHSA rules. I do not have the breakdown in front of me, but schools can only play so many regular season games and so many tournaments based how many regular season games are schedule. Last year there was a school that went all the way to the State Championship game (and lost) and forfeited the entire season because they played in too many games. So schools have that information locked up long before the season starts. In some cases before the season ends they know what is going to happen next year.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Why would the schools not know what they are going to do?

In my state the schools have schedule restrictions. Schools have to know where they are going to play and without violating IHSA rules. I do not have the breakdown in front of me, but schools can only play so many regular season games and so many tournaments based how many regular season games are schedule. Last year there was a school that went all the way to the State Championship game (and lost) and forfeited the entire season because they played in too many games. So schools have that information locked up long before the season starts. In some cases before the season ends they know what is going to happen next year.

Peace
Well they are dragging there feet for some reason. But I think we should have most assignments tonight.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

I've got one game in one local tournament, and 4 in another - including start times of 10:00 AM and 11:30 AM on weekdays. Surely the coaches won't be awake enough to complain?

JRut - is the tournament you're talking about being on the list the Proviso West Holiday Tournament?

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
I've got one game in one local tournament, and 4 in another - including start times of 10:00 AM and 11:30 AM on weekdays. Surely the coaches won't be awake enough to complain?

JRut - is the tournament you're talking about being on the list the Proviso West Holiday Tournament?
I heard they are staying up night so they can be cranky just for your games! LOL!!!!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do get an availability sheet for the Proviso West Tournament, but I have yet to work that tournament and I probably will not for some years. There are state final officials that have not worked the tournament yet. I am just happy to be considered. The main reason I get sent the availability sheets right now is the fact that I worked a scrimmage several years ago all by myself. The coaches like the job I did and I have received an availability sheet ever since. I just know I am not going to hold my breathe to work it in the next couple years.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:14pm
M.A.S.H.

I am working 3 this year. Should be a lot of fun!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I heard they are staying up night so they can be cranky just for your games! LOL!!!!
That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Maybe I should stay up and be cranky right back at 'em.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

I've got 7 tournament games in 4 tournaments but wouldn't mind picking up some others as well.

The best day is on the 27th......GV at 9AM, BV at 6PM across town.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I do get an availability sheet for the Proviso West Tournament, but I have yet to work that tournament and I probably will not for some years. There are state final officials that have not worked the tournament yet. I am just happy to be considered. The main reason I get sent the availability sheets right now is the fact that I worked a scrimmage several years ago all by myself. The coaches like the job I did and I have received an availability sheet ever since. I just know I am not going to hold my breathe to work it in the next couple years.

Peace
That's my old high school, and that tournament was big even back in the dark ages when I went to school there. I always thought it would be neat to work that tournament, but everyone I've talked to about it says the same as you - it's hard to get on the list. So I guess I'll just have to put it in the same category as winning the lottery - it would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. Let me know if you ever get hired; that would be a good excuse to go to a game. I'm usually up in the area over the holidays at some point.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Thumbs up

I've got 4 games in 4 tournaments. No way to tell how good they'll be. But it's fun to work during the holidays. By the week after Christmas, I'm tired of listening to my own whiners -- a little variety (someone else's whiners) breaks the monotony.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2005, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

That's my old high school, and that tournament was big even back in the dark ages when I went to school there. I always thought it would be neat to work that tournament, but everyone I've talked to about it says the same as you - it's hard to get on the list. So I guess I'll just have to put it in the same category as winning the lottery - it would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. Let me know if you ever get hired; that would be a good excuse to go to a game. I'm usually up in the area over the holidays at some point.
I will let you know if I ever get a chance. I am just on the list. I know who is working the tournament in advance (the assignor sends the website information). If you look at this list, it is the whose who of officiating in our area. Almost everyone working the tournament is big time hitters on the officiating front. Very few have not worked at the very least a Sectional and many are State Final officials. I am just happy they consider me at this point. Maybe next year will be my first time. I doubt it, but I hope it happens soon.

Peace