The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Christmas Tourneys (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93352-christmas-tourneys.html)

Camron Rust Thu Dec 27, 2012 02:47pm

Christmas Tourneys

Get to see a team from Wash. DC today vs a local team. Always fun to see and work teams from other areas. I have an outstanding partner too. Looking forward to the game....tipoff at 4pm Pacific.

Assignor has me loaded up with 5 games in 4 days....going to be sore by Sunday.

Rich Thu Dec 27, 2012 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 868800)
Get to see a team from Wash. DC today vs a local team. Always fun to see and work teams from other areas. I have an outstanding partner too. Looking forward to the game....tipoff at 4pm Pacific.

All 2-person?

Best part of working this week is that all my games are 3-person. All of them should be, but I live in a place that still uses stone knives and bearskins.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 27, 2012 03:46pm

Yes...all 2 person. We're probably 2-3 years away from 3 person. We've introduced it for opening day Jamborees (4 teams playing round-robin quarters...6 quarters total with 3 man mechanics) but that is it at this time.

tomegun Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:06pm

Quote:

What team?

Camron Rust Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 868810)
What team?

Gonzaga College HS

tomegun Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 868811)
Gonzaga College HS

They are from the DC Catholic league, maybe the best high school league in the country.

JetMetFan Thu Dec 27, 2012 05:07pm

Quote:

....going to be sore by Sunday.

Only by Sunday? I need your legs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 868805)
Yes...all 2 person. We're probably 2-3 years away from 3 person.

No thoughts in your area on 3-person in special tournaments like this?

grunewar Thu Dec 27, 2012 05:28pm

Hoorah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 868811)
Gonzaga College HS

The Zags are rated #2 locally in the Washington Post (combining the best of DC, MD, and VA). I always get psyched when I am fortunate enough to get a top 20 Game!

Enjoy!!

PS - I have a local Holiday Tourney semi-final game Friday night that's supposed to start at 9:15 PM. What time do you think it will ACTUALLY get started? :eek:

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 27, 2012 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 868816)
PS - I have a local Holiday Tourney semi-final game Friday night that's supposed to start at 9:15 PM. What time do you think it will ACTUALLY get started? :eek:

You'll get started at 9:15 - Pacific time. :p

grunewar Thu Dec 27, 2012 06:23pm

Ah Mark.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 868819)
You'll get started at 9:15 - Pacific time. :p

forever the optimist.

Thanks for sending those positive vibes! :p

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14am

I watched a couple of tournament games in NC tonight. One featured a crew including BktBallRef.

Rich Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:19am

We had the #4 team in the state tonight. They won 80-40. Only up 8 after a quarter, the second quarter was 25-9.

On a down note, the teams were a combined 11-26 from the line.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 868815)
Only by Sunday? I need your legs...

Good shoes! (More on that to come in another thread)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 868815)
No thoughts in your area on 3-person in special tournaments like this?

Nope...the state officially does not endorse 3-person yet. They're starting to open up to it in very limited ways but it will probably only be a reality when state budgets improve.

As for this particular tourney, they're pretty tight on what they are willing to pay for. We bring in a few officials from around the state and they don't even pay for their lodging.

Multiple Sports Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:01am

Gonzaga

Cam -

For years they have played second fiddle to Dematha, but in the last 5 yrs they have evened the playing field. Coach is a class act.... Is this the tourney with all
Jesuit schools....

Would love to know how it went....

In March they will go to a tourney in Frostburg, Md. and face the likes of Dematha
the Baltimore Catholic League champ and a few other Cath. schools. It use to involve Philly champ and runner up. Back in the 80's and 90's was as good as any
tourney in the country.

Have worked it 4 times and was one of the highlights of my officiating career....

Camron Rust Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 868814)
They are from the DC Catholic league, maybe the best high school league in the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 868816)
The Zags are rated #2 locally in the Washington Post (combining the best of DC, MD, and VA). I always get psyched when I am fortunate enough to get a top 20 Game!

It was a fun game. The local team gave them a good fight but was just outmatched a little at each position and ended up losing by 14 (a little closer than I anticipated).