The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 07:27am
This IS My Social Life

"Jim Marshall" Play

Local GJV team, with coach who used to be one of us, will do this:

Out of a timeout or to begin after an intermission with a throw-in coming to them, they'll position all their players on the "wrong" end of the court. The inbounder will toss it to the nearest girl inbounds who will then dribble the other way for an uncontested layup.

I've seen it no fewer than six times from them.

As officials, what are our duties?

> non-administering official tells the huddles whose ball it is on the inbounds, pointing direction, when breaking up each huddle
> administering official displays direction point from the time when the teams break the huddle until putting the ball at the disposal of the thrower
> lead official positions himself on the proper end of the floor
> one last direction point and expression of what color the inbounds goes to
. . . then put the ball at the disposal of the thrower.

My partner and I did all those things last Saturday. But alas, the defensive team fell for it yet again.

Question: would the administering official be overstepping his responsibility by delaying the throw-in to tell the defensive team they're on the wrong end of the floor for the throw-in?

(sorry 'bout the dated reference in the thread title . . .)
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Question: would the administering official be overstepping his responsibility by delaying the throw-in to tell the defensive team they're on the wrong end of the floor for the throw-in?

(sorry 'bout the dated reference in the thread title . . .)
You'd absolutely be overstepping. You're not there to coach---and everything the "deceptive" team is doing is perfectly legal. Do what you did and nothing more.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Nothing else to do or should do. Team should figure it out on their own. I've seen this play run a few times over the years, most successfully at the start of the 2nd half when home team has arrow and visitors are a bit late coming out of huddle and somewhat disoriented as this is not their home floor. I've been the administering official when home coach told me what they were going to do and that they knew which direction they were going, I guess hoping I would not over emphasize direction White was headed. I've also coached it before to limited success. I would not run it if my team had a comfortable lead and/or expected to continue that way or was a fairly local opponent and I wanted to stay friendly with their coach. At certain lower levels, I look at it as a bit of unsportsmanlike play, although I know of nothing in the rules saying as much. Funny thing, once it was all set up to work, only to have a fan or parent (of ours!) jump up and scream bloody murder that we were about to go the wrong way
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 08:53am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

I've seen it no fewer than six times from them.
How many times successfully?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:26am
Medium Kahuna

Determine your routine for throw-ins and use it every time the same way. I typically say the color and point when each team comes out of time-out or intermission.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 10:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

I emphasize color and direction before every such throw in, so hopefully the team who is to be the "victim" of this catches on from my usual announcement.

If they don't, I can't really control that. Hasn't happened in any of my games, though.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Same. It's not our responsibility to tell the teams which direction they're going coming out of a time out. That's what coaches are for.

This season marked the first time - H.S. or NCAAW - I've had a team screw this up and score against itself in one of my games. Home team inbounds the ball. A2, realizing there's no one between him and the basket he and his teammates had been defending, drives in a scores. My partner and I stopped things momentarily just to let the table know the goal counted and the scorers needed to put a notation in their books. Otherwise, life continued as normal.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:10am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
How many times successfully?
All. At least six times. Don't recall if it was ever done twice against the same team. Was only done when game still undecided.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Bush league play. But like the throw in play where A2 walks down loudly proclaiming "Coach wants me to throw it in" after A1 has the ball for the throw in, there's nothing to do about it.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:34am
M.A.S.H.

I don't think it's a Bush League play.

Know where you're suppose to be and don't follow others. If you're listening/watching, thinking, and communicating with your teammates, you should figure it out.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:54am
We don't rent pigs

I think you have to be playing in a bush league for this to work more than once in a blue moon.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:57am
This IS My Social Life

Not Bush League. He's Not Even President Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I think you have to be playing in a bush league for this to work more than once in a blue moon.
The fact that it's JV level no doubt contributes to its frequent success over the past six or seven years.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 11:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The fact that it's JV level no doubt contributes to its frequent success over the past six or seven years.
A jv coach should know better and be more on the ball than to let this happen to his team.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Bush league play. But like the throw in play where A2 walks down loudly proclaiming "Coach wants me to throw it in" after A1 has the ball for the throw in, there's nothing to do about it.
I like that one too. Would prob try it before the "barking dog"
Old Wed Jan 02, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I like that one too. Would prob try it before the "barking dog"
Good, because the "barking dog" play is illegal.