The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:03am
We don't rent pigs

Lebron no fouls

Just heard that Lebron James went 254 minutes without a personal foul. Does anyone else find that to be incredible for any player, let alone one as active as he is?

I know that the stars aren't treated differently in the NBA, so that couldn't be a factor.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:15am
Do not give a damn!!

No I do not find it hard to believe. He is mostly a perimeter player that knows he has a length advantage on most players he goes against. I find it very possible and has nothing to do with him being a star. Now if you show me plays that were suspect and he did not get called for a foul, that would be a better gauge for something funny.

BTW, most stars statistically foul more than the average players as they play more minutes than your average player. Just look at the foul rate of guys like Kobe, LBJ, Wade, Durant or others and they foul more than most of their teammates consistently year in and year out.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Didn't Wilt Chamberlain go his entire career without fouling out?
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 09:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Wow, What Else Can You Say ??? Wow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Didn't Wilt Chamberlain go his entire career without fouling out?
In more than 1,100 games from high school through the pros, Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out. (NBA)

Wilt Chamberlain played in 1,045 regular season games and 160 playoff games and did not foul out of a single game. (Wikepedia)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 26, 2012 at 10:19am.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Just heard that Lebron James went 254 minutes without a personal foul. Does anyone else find that to be incredible for any player, let alone one as active as he is?

I know that the stars aren't treated differently in the NBA, so that couldn't be a factor.
Yep, pretty increbible for any player to play that many minutes (27 quarters) and not incur a foul. And while LBJ is a perimeter player, that means very little on the defensive end. He does not always guard perimeter players.

And since most stars statistically foul more than the average players, the question is why isn't he being whistled as much as other stars?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I do think its incredible that a player as active as Lebron went that long without a foul but not for the reasons being implied in this thread.

I thinks its an incredible feat by an incredible athlete. Not evidence of some tired, thinly veiled conspiracy theory about the NBA.

And I find it sad that basketball officials look at a stat like this and make assumptions. As JRut said post some videos of dubious no calls if you want a serious conversation.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 11:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

I watched a quarter of an NBA game for the first time in a long time yesterday.

I was amazed at the athleticism of the players. I was also highly impressed by the decision making and positioning of the officials. They called few fouls in the quarter I watched -- great decisions on some contact that provided no advantage. I wouldn't be entertained by it long-term, but I was for a quarter last night.

To me, it's all much ado about nothing. A random sample of time without a foul means nothing to me. I'm sure many players at our levels go games without fouls too -- none of them have the skills or athleticism of James.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I do think its incredible that a player as active as Lebron went that long without a foul but not for the reasons being implied in this thread.

I thinks its an incredible feat by an incredible athlete. Not evidence of some tired, thinly veiled conspiracy theory about the NBA.

And I find it sad that basketball officials look at a stat like this and make assumptions. As JRut said post some videos of dubious no calls if you want a serious conversation.
This
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Dec 26, 2012, 01:03pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

And I find it sad that basketball officials look at a stat like this and make assumptions.
I wasn't assuming anything. I said what I did with tongue in cheek.

But it is amazing, at any level.

Actually the foul that ended the streak didn't look like much to me, but Lebron didn't complain.

You would think that in 7 games, somebody would step in and take a charge on him, but I'm not volunteering.

Lonesome Dove