View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Well I have said that phrase in some context previously, but usually say more like, "I have no idea what happened on that play, not looking there." I also do not explain calls I do not see or did not have a whistle on either. I have no problem telling a coach to speak with the calling official for a better or clearer explanation when they get a chance.

On Saturday I have a game where I called a foul from the Lead where the ball when in the basket and a teammate of the fouled team went up and touched the ball. Well of course I did not see the violation at all but knew the player was up on the rim. My partner comes in and calls a offensive BI and gives me information before I go to the table. Well I wave off the basket and then report the foul. Well the coach complains to me as I go table side and I tell him flat out, "Coach that is his call all the way, I am not looking up there or cannot really make that call from my position." I did tell him, "I think he touched the ball but my partner will gladly tell you what he called when he gets a chance." The coach said almost nothing else to me and later my partner did explain his call and we moved on. Not saying that was the best thing to say, but I could not think of anything else to really say for that kind of play as it literally was not my call to make. Otherwise I would have said something totally different. Not saying I was right, just did not want to explain something I clearly did not see.

Peace