The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I also got my start in intramurals in college. Great time, some partners better than others, eventually got to work in Assembly Hall (Indiana).

Anyways. There were nights, working at least two games, where I'd have four or more tech's. I honestly didn't care if a player swore because he missed a shot or made a bad pass or whatever, but the minute he swore at us, or at his opponent, bang.

Officiating peers is tough, no doubt. Those games can get out of hand if you don't have the cajones to take care of business.
Oh I certainly was able to take care of business, was just hobbled a little by partners not calling and my limitations in what I could issue.

I had the same policy, something said when you are upset at yourself or team was ok as long as it couldn't be heard net court over, but anything at me or in taunting an opponent and you're whacked quick.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
Oh I certainly was able to take care of business, was just hobbled a little by partners not calling and my limitations in what I could issue.

I had the same policy, something said when you are upset at yourself or team was ok as long as it couldn't be heard net court over, but anything at me or in taunting an opponent and you're whacked quick.
I feel bad for you during those first three years. Back in my college intramural days we were encouraged to take care of that sort of stuff, regardless of whether it was one official giving both. We had an extra element for two of my years: if someone received an unsportsmanlike tech, they had to work for us for one night before they'd be allowed to play again. Guys really cleaned up their act those years once they realized how tough it is.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I feel bad for you during those first three years.
Really it wasn't that bad overall. There were those occasional trouble games or trouble players, but often we knew they were coming. It was a good way to get started and learn in sort of a no-risk environment. Plus, some of the games were great lessons in dealing with slop or games that try to put you to sleep where you have to focus on keeping intensity up and performing like any other game.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Yes, this is interesting. I find that many rec leagues bend the other way and are quick to issue flagrants, even if they don't call them that and probably sometimes don't even know the term.

"You! Get out!"
i used "your done"
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:04pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
We had an extra element for two of my years: if someone received an unsportsmanlike tech, they had to work for us for one night before they'd be allowed to play again. Guys really cleaned up their act those years once they realized how tough it is.
I still love this policy for intramural or rec league situations.