The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

This would also force some changes to the way the game is coached. Do you think some of these kids are smart enough to follow their coach's wishes during late game situations?

Yes, it would change how the game is coached. I would rather have the kids looking and listening for their coach than me. Since all the officials are mainly focused on the kids on the court, we would see and hear them much easier then their coach. I don't hear as well as I use to and I sometimes don't hear the request.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Dec 20, 2012 at 06:20pm.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:23pm
C'mon man!!

Coaches and officials have to pass a rules test with 90% (maybe 80% because they word some of the questions stupidly) to be able to officiate. Timed test. 2 goes at it. If you don't pass, you don't coach or officiate.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It could be just me being dense, but I'm not picturing what you're talking about.
The safety strap or support wire used to move the baket up and out of the way when not in use. No one can use it to their advantage, and if we're supposed to keep our eyes donw for rebounding fouls, it's hard to see if a ball just grazes the strap. So, why is it OOB? Just leave it live an play the bounce.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

1. No more 5 second violations.
2. The team that is fouled has a choice to shoot the foul shoots (if any) or have the ball for a throw in. (To stop the fouling at the end of the game.)

I love the ideas about only the players call time outs and getting rid of most of the uniform rules.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

In games in areas that use a shot clock, eliminate the 10 second and 5 second calls. They kind of seem redundant.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
1. No more 5 second violations.
So, you'd be OK with a player bear hugging the ball and standing in a corner for an entire quarter so the other team's only chance to get the ball is to commit what would probably be an intentional foul.

Like the 3 second rule, the 5 second rule was put in to solve a problem. Take it out and the problem comes back.
Quote:

2. The team that is fouled has a choice to shoot the foul shoots (if any) or have the ball for a throw in. (To stop the fouling at the end of the game.)
I like that one.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Go to the NBA style of inbounding the balls at the end of the quarters based upon home/visitor and ditch the arrow I say.
That's not how it works in the NBA. Whoever wins the tip gets the ball to start the first (obviously) and fourth quarters and the other team gets the ball to start the second and third, not based on home or visitor at all.

I'd like the NBA to get rid of the 5 second back to the basket rule, if they want to add a 5 second count then bring up the NFHS and NCAA rule.

NCAA maybe go 10 minute quarters and get rid of one TV timeout per half. Instead of 4 per half, one at 16, 12, 8, and 4 minutes, you would drop to one at the 5 minute mark of each quarter plus the quarter break, so 3 total per half.

NFHS maybe implement a shot clock nationally. In a perfect world it would be consistent with the NCAA clocks, so 35 seconds for boys and 30 for girls.
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

1) Only players can request a time out.

2) Closely guarded only if holding the ball.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
I would allow iPads (and the like) for bench coaching. Maybe not to play video - some schools with good cash flow and/or adept AV departments vs. schools without could be at (significantly) greater advantage. But to use as a whiteboard, no problem.
That is already the current NFHS interpretation of the rule, although the text in the book does not read that way.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans2545 View Post
That's not how it works in the NBA. Whoever wins the tip gets the ball to start the first (obviously) and fourth quarters and the other team gets the ball to start the second and third, not based on home or visitor at all.

I'd like the NBA to get rid of the 5 second back to the basket rule, if they want to add a 5 second count then bring up the NFHS and NCAA rule.
Why should the NBA get rid of the back to the basket rule? It serves its purpose perfectly. And with a 24 second shot clock, the need for a closely guarded count is not needed. Hell, it's barely needed in the college game.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post

2) Closely guarded only if holding the ball.
Somewhere (UNC's) Phil Ford is smiling at this one...and prob Dean too.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

When a foul is called, the offender must raise arm/hand or it's a technical foul.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
So, you'd be OK with a player bear hugging the ball and standing in a corner for an entire quarter so the other team's only chance to get the ball is to commit what would probably be an intentional foul.
That is where the defense tries to trap the ball and by far most of the time when there is a trap in the corner it does not result in a 5 second violation. But given that the offense might perfect this stall tactic, I would go with the idea of a 5 second count only when holding the ball.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

coaching box

Get rid of it...before anyone gives me a +1 by get rid of it, I mean get rid of the restriction where they can stand...at least on their own side of midcourt....let them run from endline to mid court....I have never called a T for the coach being "out of the box" if they get T'd up it is for their behavior not their location on the court...I see a few who want to not allow coaches to call timeout because they don't want to watch to see whether they want one or not...for crying out loud looking to see where a coach is standing is even more ridiculous....

stepping off of soap box now...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is where the defense tries to trap the ball and by far most of the time when there is a trap in the corner it does not result in a 5 second violation. But given that the offense might perfect this stall tactic, I would go with the idea of a 5 second count only when holding the ball.
It doesn't result in a 5 second violation because the offense knows they need to get out of it some way. But if they have no reason to get out of it, they wont. 5 seconds holding might do the trick, but you really can't get rid of it entirely.