The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

1 Rule Change

Having just joined and actually being more of a coach than an official I thought I would throw this question out to all of you.

If there was a rule in the game that you would like to see added, removed or changed, what would it be?

For me it would be the fumble rule, nothing more unnatural than seeing a kid take 3-5 steps with a ball because they cannot hang on to it--it is worse yet when it is after they pick up the dribble and try to make a pass and fumble it.

It seems to reward kids for having bad hands as you can get a bit of an advantage with it when it happens.

I know everyone has their own rules that they do not like, just wondering what some of yours are
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Switch the arrow as soon as the throw in starts for an AP throw in.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:22pm
Back from the DL

I have two...

*If A-1 touches/taps the ball from B's frontcourt to backcourt (assuming team control is already established), B-2 doesn't have to wait until the ball touches the backcourt's floor to be legal to play.

*Allow a team the freedom to review video anytime it wants.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:24pm
NFHS Official

Get rid of the 3 second rule
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Portion of the correctable error rule: If a team is erroneously denied free throws the correctable error timeframe automatically ends if they subsequently score a field goal.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Only players on the court can request a time out!
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I like changing that part of the correctable error rule, it seems like a double penalty for the foul, they score on the inbounds and then get a chance to shoot FT's when corrected, good call on that one
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:44pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This could make for some interesting changes in defensive and offensive strategies. How about just making the count start when a player catches the ball in the paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Only players on the court can request a time out!
This would also force some changes to the way the game is coached. Do you think some of these kids are smart enough to follow their coach's wishes during late game situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Portion of the correctable error rule: If a team is erroneously denied free throws the correctable error timeframe automatically ends if they subsequently score a field goal.
Can you explain your rationale? A1 is given 1 and 1 when it should be two free throws. A1 misses the first one, A2 gets the rebound and scores. The horn sounds, the officials realize it should have been two shots for A1, but he can't shoot them because A2 scored. Is that what you mean?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:47pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by iubirdman View Post
I like changing that part of the correctable error rule, it seems like a double penalty for the foul, they score on the inbounds and then get a chance to shoot FT's when corrected, good call on that one
The defense is supposed to get penalized for committing fouls. If a team makes a good move and is fouled AND is good enough to get the rebound, should the defense get a break for the foul they committed?

I would say a rule change that penalizes the inferior team is not a good rule change. However, I will reserve my final judgement until I hear what BNR's rationale is.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:50pm
Huck Finn

I would like to have someone from both schools be responsible for being the uniform police. Or make it to where anything we see is a technical - one for each infraction throughout the game. That would force the coaches to make sure their kids wear the uniform the right way.

I am all for whatever rule changes reduce the possibility for inconsistency from crew to crew, association to association, state to state and sea to shining sea.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Timeouts during relaxed action only.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I phrased it wrong, if team a commits a foul that should have been a 1-1 for example, the officials and score keepers are late communicating and they take the ball out of bounds. Team B now has a chance to score on the inbounds, and when the play is over, they have a chance to go back and shoot FT's. Team B essentially ends up with 2 opps to score instead of 1
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I have two...

*If A-1 touches/taps the ball from B's frontcourt to backcourt (assuming team control is already established), B-2 doesn't have to wait until the ball touches the backcourt's floor to be legal to play.
Despite the published situation to the contrary, that is actually already the rule.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

Not a chance. There is a reason it was added and it was a good reason. Intelligently applied, it is a good rule.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

The "strap" that hangs over the basket is inbounds.