The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Do you guys eject immediately if a coach starts swearing at us as a flagrant technical? Or a T and if he continues a second T?
Here is the reason I ask. Men's sophomore game a couple of days ago. Had a brand new partner. We did not have very consistent block charge calls and partner appeared timid to coaches and players. It was a rough game all around. Between 3rd and fourth quarter assistant coach (my first mistake) approaches and says, "Can I talk to you?" I said, You've got ten seconds" (I am working on being better at dealing with coaches and I gave him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he might have a question.) He then proceeds to tear into us saying, "you guys suck, this is the sh!#$yest job and worse calls" Blah blah maybe 3-5 swear words in his 5 seconds before I walked away. (second mistake).

If I could go back and do it again, I would have nipped the AC problem in the bud early and only dealt with HC. Once the AC started with the swearing at us I would have at least T'd him up. And probably just thrown him out right then. I have never ejected anyone before so was a bit timid about doing it. Also, this team has two of our well respected varsity officials' sons on it and I honestly just didn't want to get a bad reputation so early in my career. I would love to hear your constructive thoughts and comments on how to better handle this situation in the future. Thanks
So...you basically went through what all of us have gone through at some point. As a mentor of mine says, take these situations and put them in your mental filing cabinet. When it happens again you already have that experience to draw on. The good thing is at least you know where you went wrong.

I'm with CR: he doesn't get the word "this" out of his mouth before the T comes up. And don't ever worry about who is related to someone on a team You have to run your game. Your reputation will actually be worse if you don't bang an AC in that spot. The only bothersome thing about ejecting people is the paperwork
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 06:38am.