Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Me: "but I have you next week"....WHACK
Just thought I'd fix that for you.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Varsity coach sitting on JV bench to official during timeout: "Are you reffing the next game?"

Official: "No."

Coach: "Thank GOD!"
Whack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
T for sure...and I don't hand them out easy

Working a JVB game last year with a 1st year official (only his 5th game). Game was going well, kid was blowing the whistle which I feel is important. We are standing at the division line after the end of the 3rd discussing some things and the coach asks my partner "are you a 1st year official?"...kid says "yes I am"...coach says "it shows". I gave the kid a few seconds to whack the coach himself but when he didn't I did for him. Coach threw his hands up "I wasn't talking to you"...whack again...see ya!
Good job having your partner's back. As for the second T, I am inclined to ignore that one. Not sure I want to eject on that one.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Whack.

Good job having your partner's back. As for the second T, I am inclined to ignore that one. Not sure I want to eject on that one.
Still trying to figure why he would be having his convo with his partner near the benches instead of at the division line opposite the table.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Still trying to figure why he would be having his convo with his partner near the benches instead of at the division line opposite the table.
Quote:
... We are standing at the division line after the end of the 3rd discussing some things and the coach asks my partner ...
To be fair, he doesn't say it was near the benches, only that it was at the division line. Perhaps Coach came across to them?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why were you so close to the bench area?
We weren't that close...buzzer sounds for end of the period, I meet my partner at the division line near the center circle coach steps out in front of the table and starts in. Whack, Whack gone.

Coach is well known in this area for being an ***...he was looking to get tossed because he was tired of coaching. If I hadn't whacked him on the second comment he would have kept going till one of us tossed him. One and only basketball coach I have ever tossed...can't say the same on the diamond though.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
T. Every time. More bothered that you had to ask, really. This one should be automatic.
Lulz...c'mon down off the mountaintop there Longhorn, and tell us how that rarified air is.....

Sure, I'd whack the coach...but there was a time not so many years ago that I would have posted the same thread.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
T for sure...and I don't hand them out easy

Working a JVB game last year with a 1st year official (only his 5th game). Game was going well, kid was blowing the whistle which I feel is important. We are standing at the division line after the end of the 3rd discussing some things and the coach asks my partner "are you a 1st year official?"...kid says "yes I am"...coach says "it shows". I gave the kid a few seconds to whack the coach himself but when he didn't I did for him. Coach threw his hands up "I wasn't talking to you"...whack again...see ya!
I worked with an official who would always tell a coach (after they tell him "I was not talking to you") 'If I can hear you, you are talking to me'.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:30am
C'mon man!!

Do you guys eject immediately if a coach starts swearing at us as a flagrant technical? Or a T and if he continues a second T?
Here is the reason I ask. Men's sophomore game a couple of days ago. Had a brand new partner. We did not have very consistent block charge calls and partner appeared timid to coaches and players. It was a rough game all around. Between 3rd and fourth quarter assistant coach (my first mistake) approaches and says, "Can I talk to you?" I said, You've got ten seconds" (I am working on being better at dealing with coaches and I gave him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he might have a question.) He then proceeds to tear into us saying, "you guys suck, this is the sh!#$yest job and worse calls" Blah blah maybe 3-5 swear words in his 5 seconds before I walked away. (second mistake).

If I could go back and do it again, I would have nipped the AC problem in the bud early and only dealt with HC. Once the AC started with the swearing at us I would have at least T'd him up. And probably just thrown him out right then. I have never ejected anyone before so was a bit timid about doing it. Also, this team has two of our well respected varsity officials' sons on it and I honestly just didn't want to get a bad reputation so early in my career. I would love to hear your constructive thoughts and comments on how to better handle this situation in the future. Thanks
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Do you guys eject immediately if a coach starts swearing at us as a flagrant technical? Or a T and if he continues a second T?
Not necessarily. It depends why and how loud, how visible, and what specifically is said/done.

I had one two weeks ago where the coach of the team with a big lead wasn't happy with the consistency of calls being made. A foul or two were called against his team that were similar to plays passed on for the other team....a team which had 3 points at halftime. He wasn't very loud about anything, didn't say any magic words, didn't say anything about me or my partner, and wasn't demonstrative....just a young coach that was not used to being in that situation. About midway through the fourth, I was by him and suggested that it might be a good game to just sit back and enjoy the comfortable win. He expressed his displeasure with similar plays being called differently with a "that's bull****" mixed in...but only such that I could hear it. I thought about a T, looked at him and said "Coach, we don't need that". He turned around, sat down, and didn't say boo the rest of the game.

Quote:

He then proceeds to tear into us saying, "you guys suck, this is the sh!#$yest job and worse calls" Blah blah maybe 3-5 swear words in his 5 seconds before I walked away. (second mistake).
T....about the time he would have said the word "this".....and then walk away.

If he's still going at it after a few steps, probably time for the 2nd.

There is a line a lot of people draw between a comment that is phrased as "You...." vs. "That is....". The personal "You" remarks get the T's where the "That is" remarks might get a pass unless there are other elements to the situation.

Quote:
If I could go back and do it again, I would have nipped the AC problem in the bud early and only dealt with HC.
I have no problem talking to ACs if they are appropriate and it is at an appropriate time...such as a timeout or intermission and I am already near their huddle but it is very limited.
Quote:
Once the AC started with the swearing at us I would have at least T'd him up. And probably just thrown him out right then. I have never ejected anyone before so was a bit timid about doing it. Also, this team has two of our well respected varsity officials' sons on it and I honestly just didn't want to get a bad reputation so early in my career. I would love to hear your constructive thoughts and comments on how to better handle this situation in the future. Thanks
Sounds like you know what to do the next time. If they are audibly swearing like that and you haven't just completely screwed up the game, you look bad by not penalizing it. Situations like that happen and you have to deal with them. You just don't want to be calling a lot more T's than anyone else...that is what will hurt you....but so will not calling them when deserved.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Dec 21, 2012 at 01:42pm.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A few seasons ago I worked a regional final at a school outside of my area. The home team was a defending state champion and of course had never seen me before.

After a couple calls he didn't like the home coach started to ask me a question, "You do realize..." I cut him off right there and said "Don't ask me a question that's going to get you in trouble". I could see the wheels spinning as he considered whether or not to continue but he thought better of it and turned away.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I would have done had he finished the question.
You're no fun, you big meanie!!
Old Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is the reason I ask. Men's sophomore game a couple of days ago. Had a brand new partner. We did not have very consistent block charge calls and partner appeared timid to coaches and players. It was a rough game all around. Between 3rd and fourth quarter assistant coach (my first mistake) approaches and says, "Can I talk to you?" I said, You've got ten seconds" (I am working on being better at dealing with coaches and I gave him the benefit of the doubt that perhaps he might have a question.) He then proceeds to tear into us saying, "you guys suck, this is the sh!#$yest job and worse calls" Blah blah maybe 3-5 swear words in his 5 seconds before I walked away. (second mistake).

If I could go back and do it again, I would have nipped the AC problem in the bud early and only dealt with HC. Once the AC started with the swearing at us I would have at least T'd him up. And probably just thrown him out right then. I have never ejected anyone before so was a bit timid about doing it. Also, this team has two of our well respected varsity officials' sons on it and I honestly just didn't want to get a bad reputation so early in my career. I would love to hear your constructive thoughts and comments on how to better handle this situation in the future. Thanks
You are overthinking the situation. If an Asst. Coach, head coach, player gives that kind of feedback to you. A tech. will come quickly...if it is me, I whack him and start walking away. That way, he will have to come onto the court where he will have to follow you. And I disagree that you felt walking away was wrong... there is no need for you to stay there and take that crap.

You can't be afraid to eject someone. You have to trust your skillset and when someone crosses the line, assess the appropriate punishment. If an ejection is warranted, you need to take care of business. Don't care about what kind of reputation you have. If you are fair, work hard, are approachable and are a good partner on/off the court, to the people who matter they will formulate a solid opinion of you. Learn from this situation... all of us have been there.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:47am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
You are overthinking the situation. If an Asst. Coach, head coach, player gives that kind of feedback to you. A tech. will come quickly...if it is me, I whack him and start walking away. That way, he will have to come onto the court where he will have to follow you. And I disagree that you felt walking away was wrong... there is no need for you to stay there and take that crap.
I didn't feel bad about walking away. I felt bad I walked a way with out issuing at least a technical.

I lik ethe issue a tech and walk away and let them basically prove they want to get tossed.

You can't be afraid to eject someone. You have to trust your skillset and when someone crosses the line, assess the appropriate punishment. If an ejection is warranted, you need to take care of business. Don't care about what kind of reputation you have. If you are fair, work hard, are approachable and are a good partner on/off the court, to the people who matter they will formulate a solid opinion of you. Learn from this situation... all of us have been there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this bit of advice. It is all new territory for me from an ejection/report standpoint. I guess I need to spend some more time talking with some of the more veteran officials about this scenario. After mulling it over a bit more and getting a bit of feedback, I will be more comfortable next time.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
A few seasons ago I worked a regional final at a school outside of my area. The home team was a defending state champion and of course had never seen me before.

After a couple calls he didn't like the home coach started to ask me a question, "You do realize..." I cut him off right there and said "Don't ask me a question that's going to get you in trouble". I could see the wheels spinning as he considered whether or not to continue but he thought better of it and turned away.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I would have done had he finished the question.

Because Mark, Jr., and Andy were swimmers all through high school we have been members of the Toledo YMCA since Junior was about 18 months old. When he was in grade school, one of the branches had a men's recreational league on Sunday evenings. The executive director of this branch played on one of the teams in the league; he also wrote the game fee checks and they were mailed to the officials the next day (that was just how the Y's accounting worked). One Sunday his team was playing in the last game of the night and he didn't like a foul I called on him. He took enough exception with the call that I T'ed him up. He looked and me and said: "How can you call a technical on me. Don't you know I am the one that signs your checks?" To which I replied: "Here's another one, now you can get an early start on signing the checks."

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 22, 2012, 05:07pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark t. Denucci, sr. View Post
because mark, jr., and andy were swimmers all through high school we have been members of the toledo ymca since junior was about 18 months old. When he was in grade school, one of the branches had a men's recreational league on sunday evenings. The executive director of this branch played on one of the teams in the league; he also wrote the game fee checks and they were mailed to the officials the next day (that was just how the y's accounting worked). One sunday his team was playing in the last game of the night and he didn't like a foul i called on him. He took enough exception with the call that i t'ed him up. He looked and me and said: "how can you call a technical on me. Don't you know i am the one that signs your checks?" to which i replied: "here's another one, now you can get an early start on signing the checks." :d

mtd, sr.
+1000
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, this team has two of our well respected varsity officials' sons on it and I honestly just didn't want to get a bad reputation so early in my career.
If they are, in fact, respected varsity officials (and not just members of the ruling junta buddy club), I suggest that your reputation would have grown, and not been hindered, by taking care of bizness.

Never, ever, base a decision on who someone is; that's a slippery slope on which we ought not to tread.