The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:07am
Often wrong never n doubt

1st evaluation

I had my first evaluation last night. It was a freshman's girl's game and I didn't know the area supervisor was there until he showed up at halftime with his evaluation form. I am happy to say on the checkmark part I had not areas that were marked with needs improvment.

Under the things to work on column were a few items.

#1 Signal a preliminary foul signal at the spot of the foul
#2 When trail during freethrows could, signal and chop clock with hand nearest table
#3 Close down more on shot attempts from the trail
#4 Come to a stop when reporting

All in all I am happy with my first evaluation.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Good job. Get those changed and keep asking for more. Video yourself to see more things to work on. It really opens up your eyes.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Good work... all of the feedback is something you can fix by practicing mechanics in the mirror and reading the official's handbook/mechanics manual. Try to work on 1 or 2 each game and you will have them down by the end of the season.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed....great feedback. Improving upon those 4 things will add some "polish".
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Looks very similar to evaluations a lot of us got our first year or two around here.

#1 and #4 are just a matter of slowing yourself down.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Looks very similar to evaluations a lot of us got our first year or two around here.

#1 and #4 are just a matter of slowing yourself down.
I think #1 is just a mechanism for slowing you down, personally. I'd be curious how many veteran officials in your area use preliminary signals on all fouls -- it would surprise me if they did.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

From my experience, not only do most of the "elite" officials in my area not only coach less experienced officials to give a preliminary, they also do so themselves.

I've watched numerous varsity games before becoming a varsity official and noted that the guys I wanted to emulate were all giving a solid preliminary at the scene of the crime. The best part of that for a newer official is that it forces the official to slow down, see the play through and not "lose" the number of the perpetrator.

Getting in a rush to get to the table can cause all sorts of issues for an official, not to mention leaving your partners in a bit of a quandry about what you have and where to go.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:29pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think #1 is just a mechanism for slowing you down, personally. I'd be curious how many veteran officials in your area use preliminary signals on all fouls -- it would surprise me if they did.
Alot of them do on alot of fouls but for sure none of them do on all fouls.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
From my experience, not only do most of the "elite" officials in my area not only coach less experienced officials to give a preliminary, they also do so themselves.

I've watched numerous varsity games before becoming a varsity official and noted that the guys I wanted to emulate were all giving a solid preliminary at the scene of the crime. The best part of that for a newer official is that it forces the official to slow down, see the play through and not "lose" the number of the perpetrator.

Getting in a rush to get to the table can cause all sorts of issues for an official, not to mention leaving your partners in a bit of a quandry about what you have and where to go.
I'm not saying that officials run to the table here, but it would be very rare indeed for an official to signal, for example, a hold at the spot of the foul.

I'd still expect a partner to signal the foul, communicate the team/spot of the throw-in (or that we're shooting free throws), etc. before heading to the table.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You would be surprised around here. It is harped on during every evaluation, even with veterans. We are told to give a preliminary on EVERY foul at all times, and most guys that I work with do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post

Ditto here.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You would be surprised around here. It is harped on during every evaluation, even with veterans. We are told to give a preliminary on EVERY foul at all times, and most guys that I work with do it.

Ditto here.
I can't see myself giving a preliminary on any foul committed on a shooter other than maybe a block mechanic on a 50/50 type play.

I'll give a hand-check or push preliminary if the foul caused the offensive player to violate or step OOB.

Other than that (and PC/Block crashes) I'm only going with a fist on the spot.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I can't see myself giving a preliminary on any foul committed on a shooter other than maybe a block mechanic on a 50/50 type play.

I'll give a hand-check or push preliminary if the foul caused the offensive player to violate or step OOB.

Must be an area thing because they really expect it here. Not that I agree with it all that much, but it's what they want.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Good job. Get those changed and keep asking for more. Video yourself to see more things to work on. It really opens up your eyes.
Any video or still photo of your games is going to be a learning tool and a great experience once you become open to the fact that there are things to work on.

I had pictures taken of my game the other night and in reviewing them after game I saw a few things such as positioning on a throw in and a few other things.

I also noticed that during an inbound to start a quarter when I was down as lead that I was standing there with my hands on my hips. I don't know where that came from as I try not to do that, or how often I've done that in the past but that is something that I've worked on the last few games to make sure I eliminate.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Same...block/charge plays and fouls that cause violations. I couldn't imagine myself doing preliminaries for anything else and certainly not all the time.

I do think as a practice, it's not a bad one to teach new officials in that it'll more than likely slow them down and make sure they have the fouler and possible shooter. But for an experienced official? Overkill.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.