The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Late Team

Visitors arrive to the Gym 30 minutes after game was suppose to start. What can you all do in your area?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
Visitors arrive to the Gym 30 minutes after game was suppose to start. What can you all do in your area?
File for a late fee.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad zebra View Post
Try to contact them before that.

Otherwise, it's a school / conference / tournament thing.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Happened to me not too long ago. AD had heard from the coach of the team arriving late. Traffic related delay due to road closure for med-flight, no way to get there on time.

Once they arrived they were given 20 minutes to get settled and warm up and we tipped off an hour and a half late.

AD was generous that night, gave us a free water from the concession stand.

Sat with my partner during the delay and had a great conversation about officiating. I recall we decided among other things that officials should get a premium fee for working games on rubber on concrete floors.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 11:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Freshman Team showed up very late for their game Friday due to traffic. Put everything behind. Game Mgt didn't decide to make up time until they implemented the running clock in the second half of the JV game. Put us pretty much back on schedule.

Apparently the home team was upset because allegedly if our game lasted longer than 9:30, they had to pay the staff OT. Hadn't heard that one before.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Synthetic Surface, Concrete Base ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
Officials should get a premium fee for working games on rubber on concrete floors.
I've got a Catholic middle school "varsity" game later this afternoon that will be played on a very thin synthetic surface on a concrete base. This school doesn't have an "all purpose room" large enough to play a game with eighth graders, so they rent the court from a nearby sports facility (basketball, and volleyball courts, batting cages, etc.). I worked a boys/girls doubleheader there a few weeks ago and by the second period of the first game my feet were hurting. By the end of the doubleheader my legs, ankles, and feet were hurting from halfway down my shin down to my toes. The next morning, I woke up as sore as I've ever been, and it took all day long, at work, to "walk off" the soreness. Two aspirin after the game, and two the next morning, didn't help a bit.

Another problem. I noticed a slight headache, more like a dizziness, as the games progressed. Over the center of the facility was a very large ceiling fan with blades with, at least, a radius of eight feet. Directly above the fan were two large fluorescent lights. There was always a flicker under one basket, and I'm sure that this was effecting my eyesight. At the least, it was very annoying.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 11:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post

AD was generous that night, gave us a free water from the concession stand.
You're joking, right?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 11:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Had To Look This Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Freshman Team showed up very late for their game Friday due to traffic. Game Mgt didn't decide to make up time until they implemented the running clock in the second half of the JV game.
This may not be a very practical post, so just consider it for "test taking" purposes:

Illegal under NFHS rules, unless allowed under state association guidelines. Without such guidelines, no running clock, just shorten the periods, or in the case of a nonvarsity game, shorten the number of periods. For a nonvarsity game, just the coaches can decide this, don't even need the referee's permission.

A quarter(s) may be shortened in an emergency or at any time by
mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and referee. Playing time and number
of quarters for nonvarsity game quarters may be reduced by mutual agreement
of opposing coaches.
NOTE: A state association by adoption may institute a running clock when a specified
point differential is reached at a specified time in the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 16, 2012 at 11:42am.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is not our jurisdiction. We just wait until they arrive and maybe consult the assignor as to how long we might wait, otherwise this is an administrative issue, not an officiating issue. And we would wait reasonably for the game to get started.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Late teams are not our problem either. We wait them out and leave it to the schools to sort out.

I did have one last year where neither team showed up. There was snow coming in late that night that pounded Illinois all day so they went ahead and cancelled the game, they just forgot to tell me and my partner. Got a check two weeks later.
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 07:41pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Apparently the home team was upset because allegedly if our game lasted longer than 9:30, they had to pay the staff OT. Hadn't heard that one before.
Working past 9:30 might possibly define working into the weekend and entitle the staff to weekend/overtime pay.

The grade school I attended rents a gym for their CYO sports because their own is too small. When they use the public school gym, they have to be out by a certain time during basketball season (6:30 pm, I think), otherwise they have to pay extra for the custodian on duty to stay past then for take-down/cleanup.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Late arrivals

In GA (Varsity and below), if the traveling school has not arrived or communicated to the host school by 30 minutes past the tip time, the game is a forfeit. If the visiting time arrives before the 30 minute past tip timeline, put 15 minutes on the clock when they enter the building.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:24pm
We don't rent pigs

Worked a tourney last week that was late starting 3 days in a row because of late teams. One partner was grumbling and threatening to start the game with a technical foul. I said that this was not the thing to do and did my best to downplay the idea. But afterward I thought more about the specifics of the situation. I still don't believe that this is the intent and purpose of this rule, but had he chosen to use it, I find it hard to dispute.

10-1-1: A team shall not fail to supply the scorer.................at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
10-1-1: A team shall not fail to supply the scorer.................at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.
I'm 100% sure that this rule takes into account that the team has already arrived at the site, just as you wouldn't use the resuming play procedure to begin the second half if one team was still in the locker room.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Two aspirin after the game, and two the next morning, didn't help a bit.
"Snacks" never help. Get some "real" meds.