The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Team A is inbounding the ball in the fourth quarter of a close game. A2 gives a particularly ugly pick...throws her forearms out. I call her for the push, and confidently say: "Team control foul! B ball!" Everything is fine, and I hand the ball to team B on the end line...

and a thought hatches in my head. It was a throw-in. There's no team control. Damn.

If you were me...well, you would have gotten it right the first time (as I will henceforward). But if you were me, standing on the endline doing your 5-second count for B, would you:

1. Toot your whistle, say: "No! It's not a team control foul! It was a throw-in! One-and-one!" and walk everybody down to the other end for free throws? The benefit is that it's right...the detriment is it makes you look uncertain.
2. Let B in-bound the ball, figuring you're the only one who knows you've screwed up? The benefit is a smooth game, the detriment is that it's, well, wrong.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingRefGuy
Team A is inbounding the ball in the fourth quarter of a close game. A2 gives a particularly ugly pick...throws her forearms out. I call her for the push, and confidently say: "Team control foul! B ball!" Everything is fine, and I hand the ball to team B on the end line...

and a thought hatches in my head. It was a throw-in. There's no team control. Damn.

If you were me...well, you would have gotten it right the first time (as I will henceforward). But if you were me, standing on the endline doing your 5-second count for B, would you:

1. Toot your whistle, say: "No! It's not a team control foul! It was a throw-in! One-and-one!" and walk everybody down to the other end for free throws? The benefit is that it's right...the detriment is it makes you look uncertain.
2. Let B in-bound the ball, figuring you're the only one who knows you've screwed up? The benefit is a smooth game, the detriment is that it's, well, wrong.

Once you realized that you made a mistake and it still falls under the correctable error time frame you should have blown your whistle and fixed it.

This is very hard to do, especially when the ball is in play but we need to get the play right.

If you are beeing evaulated you will get hammered a lot harder for a misinterpretation of the rules more than stopping the game and looking bad for a few seconds.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:34pm
In Memoriam

Get the call right.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, y'all. My partner disagreed with me on the floor, saying (at the next time out) "don't go calling that fantasy sh*t--just call regular stuff" (it wasn't as bad as it sounds...this is just the guy's personality). It's good to have a little backup here.
Old Wed Dec 28, 2005, 09:32pm
PAOfficial

I agree, get it right. My question is, why were you yelling out, "Team control foul"?
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BloggingRefGuy
Thanks, y'all. My partner disagreed with me on the floor, saying (at the next time out) "don't go calling that fantasy sh*t--just call regular stuff" (it wasn't as bad as it sounds...this is just the guy's personality). It's good to have a little backup here.
There was nothing fantasy about that call....just a basic foul that was not being penalized correctly. You realized it right away and should fix it. Even we get to stumble a little on the rule changes.

Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAOfficial
I agree, get it right. My question is, why were you yelling out, "Team control foul"?
Why not? Nothing wrong with using your voice along with your preliminary signal. In fact, our state interpreter encouraged all of us to verbalize it especially loud for the benefit of coaches until they come to understand it.

Z
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAOfficial
It's a Texas state "exception" this year. As part of the new player control rules change we in Texas are instructed to verbally announce "Team Control Foul" as a signal to caoch's (and players i guess0 that there would be no shots.

The "y'all" was another clue.

Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah--I'm just trying to stave off the shouts of "One-and-one!" until everybody gets it. That's why I verbalize "Team control foul!"
Old Thu Dec 29, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ref Daddy--

I'm not from Texas, but I lived in Louisiana for a couple of years a decade ago, and I remain convinced that "y'all" is the most efficient gender-neutral second-person plural pronoun. Don't y'all agree?