The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Conference During Timeout - Communication During Game

Recently during a BJV game, I had a horrible experience. My partner and I didn't carpool (he showed up 20 minutes before the game started) and didn't really have a pregame. We technically had a pregame, but I felt like it didn't mean anything once we hit the floor. The play was sloppy, we both were officiating like crap, and the whole night just seemed really ugly.

Here is my question: when working with someone you've never seen before or worked with, do you make an effort to have "mini conference" during timeouts? Should I request that we touch base during the first few timeouts?

Normally I approach my partner during a timeout and say something general like "how are we doing?" ask if coaches are talking, anything chippy taking place, we should keep an eye on hand-checks, etc. I rarely bring up a specific play, unless they allude to it. For whatever reason I felt like this partner didn't want to talk, and if I brought up anything specific he was defensive.

Maybe I'm just worked up because our game stunk and it seemed like we were doing nothing to remedy what we could on our end.

Blah.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do the same things I always do, try to have a decent pre-game (try) and then just work the game. Pre-game or no pre-game honestly does not change my actions during the game.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:07am
Medium Kahuna

A game like that can really stick with you, but you need to let it go.

First, though, find 3 things you would have done differently (mechanically, or with your partner, or whatever). Make those your lessons from that game. Then go have a great next game.

To answer your question: if I feel that we're not calling a great game, I'll make "team" suggestions, such as "let's call it a little tighter," "let's protect the shooter more," "let's watch the big guys, they're really bashing each other." And I'll say it like that even if I'm already doing those things.

Maybe 2 suggestions during a time out. You can't fix everything at once, and you can't make bad basketball good just by how you call it. You can, however, make it very slow, which merely prolongs the pain.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Pre-game or no pre-game honestly does not change my actions during the game.
I can think of several actions during the game predicated on what was discussed during the pregame. Kinda thought that was part of it, getting your crew on the same page.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:44pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I can think of several actions during the game predicated on what was discussed during the pregame. Kinda thought that was part of it, getting your crew on the same page.
I'm not going to speak for Rut, but when I look at his post what I get is upholding a standard no matter what. RSBQ, chucking cutters, illegal screens, etc. should be called the same no matter what is said in pregame. You will also have your other association "isms" that will be the same no matter what. Depending on the association, that should leave little variation from game to game in regards to what officials are going to do once the game starts.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
I think Tommy said it best. I call my game regardless of what is talked about. I do not need to have a pre-game with partners to do just that. We all have standards or mechanics to follow and the more I officiate, the more I realize what we talk about is not going to change that fact. What I do need to know is how we are going to handle those gray areas where philosophy and personal preference collide. Some can be how we specifically handle last second shots or what we do during a Technical Foul. Otherwise, my game and others games should not change.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Worked a Girls Varsity game last night that was also ugly. Neither team very skilled at the guard position, but both kept trying to press...lots of fouls...lots of turnovers...one of my partners was clearly not on the same page as two of us, so we did the mini conference thing at all 3 of the timeouts called in the first half. Did the whole "I am not comfortable with..." conversation, and IMHO it helped. Got us all on the same page, made for more consistent calls and better floor coverage, and helped make the game flow as smoothly as it was going to...

So yes...these mini conferences can help at times.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think Tommy said it best. I call my game regardless of what is talked about. I do not need to have a pre-game with partners to do just that. We all have standards or mechanics to follow and the more I officiate, the more I realize what we talk about is not going to change that fact. What I do need to know is how we are going to handle those gray areas where philosophy and personal preference collide. Some can be how we specifically handle last second shots or what we do during a Technical Foul. Otherwise, my game and others games should not change.

Peace
I apologize, got confused by the use of actions. Agree, the pregame is not the time to change your play calling.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I have always been one to say that as a crew we can never "over communicate". If you feel like a quick "mini-conference" could help, do it. They do help.