The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question Pre-Game Conference

Poll:
Do you guys hold a pre-game meeting to exchange lineups before the second game of a double header or do you just get the lineups from the coaches and get started?
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
Poll:
Do you guys hold a pre-game meeting to exchange lineups before the second game of a double header or do you just get the lineups from the coaches and get started?

I meet with the coaches before we start. No need to go over the ground rules again, but I usually ask if they have any questions, remind them of anything that needs to be said, get the lineup cards, make sure we're all on the same page, and get started.

I have been with guys who just took the lineup cards and didn't say anything. Seems to me as if it sets the tone that the second game isn't as important as the first.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

I do a plate conference, but all we basically do there is just exchange lineups...
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I have a meeting, more for formality of exchanging lineups and to make sure we were still on the same page.

Last night we asked if Home coach wanted to cover the ground rules again, and if we were doing the National Anthem (again). It was more to lighten the mood, which it did...until I called "play."
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Generally we have a meeting just to compliment one another on all the excellent calls and superior game management, as well as any inspired or brilliant coaching moves from the first game. But usually it's just the umpiring that truly stands out.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Generally we have a meeting just to compliment one another on ... superior game management...
That's a short meeting.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Poll:
Good chance to exchange the lineup and to cover any problems from the first game. Very rare, but sometimes might have to give the coaches a reminder about a few things.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Good chance to exchange the lineup and to cover any problems from the first game. Very rare, but sometimes might have to give the coaches a reminder about a few things.

Thanks
David
What would you possibly be reminding the coaches about? For the 2nd game of a double header, unless the field changed somehow (meaning the ground rules changed), an exchange of line ups should be the only thing.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
What would you possibly be reminding the coaches about? For the 2nd game of a double header, unless the field changed somehow (meaning the ground rules changed), an exchange of line ups should be the only thing.
We have some fierce rivalries in our area and sometimes we have to remind the coaches to keep it in check! Now that we have mandated administrators for each game it's a lot easier because any problems we just let them handle it, but I know many states probably don't do this.

Most of our coaches don't have a problem with that since most are seasoned veteran coaches, but sometimes the younger coaches have to be reminded.

And sometimes I have found coaches have a question about a play in the earlier game.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We have some fierce rivalries in our area and sometimes we have to remind the coaches to keep it in check! Now that we have mandated administrators for each game it's a lot easier because any problems we just let them handle it, but I know many states probably don't do this.
We do not have SA's in most cases. I just don't cover anything other than line ups and ground rules at the plate meeting.

Quote:
And sometimes I have found coaches have a question about a play in the earlier game.
That game is over. I do not discuss anything that happened in a previous game under any circumstances (this includes double headers).
We've discussed the plate meeting ad infinitum on this site. What I am stating here is nothing new. I realize that some umpires feel the need to use the plate meeting as a "learning center" or a pulpit. I never bought into that theory and never will. I keep the plate meetings short and to the point. In the 2nd game of a double header, give me the line up cards and let's get going.
Peace
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
We've discussed the plate meeting ad infinitum on this site. What I am stating here is nothing new. I realize that some umpires feel the need to use the plate meeting as a "learning center" or a pulpit. I never bought into that theory and never will. I keep the plate meetings short and to the point. In the 2nd game of a double header, give me the line up cards and let's get going.
+1

You would not believe what gets covered in some of the meetings I have had in LL ball. You should also see me, as the BU, trying not to roll my eyes or tell my partner to wrap it up.

I think we would get along just fine.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I would add (Lineup exchange) would be in regard to lights (If a potential issue).
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Poll:
Yes. It is required by the rules.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 09:39pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Generally we have a meeting just to compliment one another on all the excellent calls and superior game management, as well as any inspired or brilliant coaching moves from the first game. But usually it's just the umpiring that truly stands out.
Now THAT'S funny, I don't care who you are...

JJ
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 12:01am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Now THAT'S funny, I don't care who you are...

JJ
Not only very humorous, but sadly true as well!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25