View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Conference During Timeout - Communication During Game

Recently during a BJV game, I had a horrible experience. My partner and I didn't carpool (he showed up 20 minutes before the game started) and didn't really have a pregame. We technically had a pregame, but I felt like it didn't mean anything once we hit the floor. The play was sloppy, we both were officiating like crap, and the whole night just seemed really ugly.

Here is my question: when working with someone you've never seen before or worked with, do you make an effort to have "mini conference" during timeouts? Should I request that we touch base during the first few timeouts?

Normally I approach my partner during a timeout and say something general like "how are we doing?" ask if coaches are talking, anything chippy taking place, we should keep an eye on hand-checks, etc. I rarely bring up a specific play, unless they allude to it. For whatever reason I felt like this partner didn't want to talk, and if I brought up anything specific he was defensive.

Maybe I'm just worked up because our game stunk and it seemed like we were doing nothing to remedy what we could on our end.

Blah.