The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 02:23am
C'mon man!!

Player enters a court without being beckoned.

Sophmore boys game today, I was standing at midcourt ready to hand the ball to the thrower-in-er. I hand it too him and he passes the ball to A2 on the court. Horn sounds and B6 walks on to the court to sub for B1. I blow the play dead and tell B6 to get off the court and make him wait. Until the next opportunity to sub. I don't think I handled the situation by rule but no one complained and my varsity official said I did it correctly. I was just going to ignore the horn because I knew it was for a sub, but the player walked on to the court.

I think by rule it should have been a technical foul charged to someone (team, player? I don't know.) Some advice on the proper way to handle this in the future would be appreciated.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

By rule, a T on the player for entering without being beckoned.

Also by rule, once you blow the whistle, whether you call the T or not, it is now a legal opportunity to sub and that player is allowed in.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Sophmore boys game today, I was standing at midcourt ready to hand the ball to the thrower-in-er.

He's just a thrower.

And yes, the way you handled it was fine, IF you also then had a short conversation with the timer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 11:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
By rule, a T on the player for entering without being beckoned.

Also by rule, once you blow the whistle, whether you call the T or not, it is now a legal opportunity to sub and that player is allowed in.
Unlikely that's the way it's going to get handled by many officials, though.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 11:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Sophmore boys game today, I was standing at midcourt ready to hand the ball to the thrower-in-er. I hand it too him and he passes the ball to A2 on the court. Horn sounds and B6 walks on to the court to sub for B1. I blow the play dead and tell B6 to get off the court and make him wait. Until the next opportunity to sub. I don't think I handled the situation by rule but no one complained and my varsity official said I did it correctly. I was just going to ignore the horn because I knew it was for a sub, but the player walked on to the court.

I think by rule it should have been a technical foul charged to someone (team, player? I don't know.) Some advice on the proper way to handle this in the future would be appreciated.
Just for comparison:

In FIBA, once the ball is live in the thrower-in's hands, the substitution opportunity is over, and when B6 enters the court, you could only bring him in if you call him for a T, which would create another substitution opportunity.

But if we decide to not call a T, I am tempted to inform B6 to get off the court and continue play. If that doesn't or won't go smoothly, kill the play, reset the clock to what it should have been, re-do the throw-in and B6 can in at the next substitution opportunity.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 05:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not For Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Unlikely that's the way it's going to get handled by many officials, though.
By rule, there is no legal way that I can prevent that eligible substitute from entering the game at that point. If you go by the book, you can't get in trouble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't assess a T in this case...Unless I can T the table.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 07:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Penalty ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Unless I can T the table.
... and then make them all sit down. That'll teach 'em.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 08:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Hard to overlook two things. Dead ball horn, no beckon, he walks in, quickly jump in front and stop him. Horn and he walks onto the court during a live ball, he's asking for it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Walking Dead ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Dead ball horn, no beckon, he walks in, quickly jump in front and stop him.
That's the way we handle this specific situation here in my little corner of Connecticut. I never seen a technical foul charged in this specific situation. Most of us will actually make the player go all the way back to the table, and only then, beckon him into the game.

Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I have rarely had problems with this up until this season for some reason. It seems like every other game (Maybe it's most of the JV games?) I am getting kids just coming on to the court without us beckoning them. Usually it is when the whistle is blown for a foul, and before I can get to the table to report it they are starting to come on the court. I just wave them back to the table, report the foul, then beckon them. Part of this is on the table crew, as some of them hit the horn as soon as they hear the whistle and the kids are like Pavlov's dogs with the horn.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

If we chose to stop play as he walks on the court and re-do the throw-in, where's the spot?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 12:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Technical Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
If we chose to stop play as he walks on the court and re-do the throw-in, where's the spot?
I'm a little confused by your question, but if he comes onto the court without being beckoned during a live ball, the spot will be at the division line, opposite the table.

Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm a little confused by your question, but if he comes onto the court without being beckoned during a live ball, the spot will be at the division line, opposite the table.
I was going back to the sitch as outlined in the OP. ......"and he [A1] passes the ball to A2 on the court."

While the consensus among the replies seems to favor handling this by stopping play, motioning the sub back to the table, and not issuing a T; if throw-in has been completed (as in the OP), I would think that we would have to resume play with a throw-in by Team A at POI not the division line. Correct?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2012, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
I was going back to the sitch as outlined in the OP. ......"and he [A1] passes the ball to A2 on the court."

While the consensus among the replies seems to favor handling this by stopping play, motioning the sub back to the table, and not issuing a T; if throw-in has been completed (as in the OP), I would think that we would have to resume play with a throw-in by Team A at POI not the division line. Correct?
Correct. It becomes an inadvertant whistle.