The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player enters a court without being beckoned. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93168-player-enters-court-without-being-beckoned.html)

Sharpshooternes Sun Dec 09, 2012 02:23am

Player enters a court without being beckoned.

Sophmore boys game today, I was standing at midcourt ready to hand the ball to the thrower-in-er. I hand it too him and he passes the ball to A2 on the court. Horn sounds and B6 walks on to the court to sub for B1. I blow the play dead and tell B6 to get off the court and make him wait. Until the next opportunity to sub. I don't think I handled the situation by rule but no one complained and my varsity official said I did it correctly. I was just going to ignore the horn because I knew it was for a sub, but the player walked on to the court.

I think by rule it should have been a technical foul charged to someone (team, player? I don't know.) Some advice on the proper way to handle this in the future would be appreciated.

Camron Rust Sun Dec 09, 2012 04:29am

By rule, a T on the player for entering without being beckoned.

Also by rule, once you blow the whistle, whether you call the T or not, it is now a legal opportunity to sub and that player is allowed in.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 09, 2012 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 865790)
Sophmore boys game today, I was standing at midcourt ready to hand the ball to the thrower-in-er.

He's just a thrower. ;)

And yes, the way you handled it was fine, IF you also then had a short conversation with the timer.

Rich Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 865796)
By rule, a T on the player for entering without being beckoned.

Also by rule, once you blow the whistle, whether you call the T or not, it is now a legal opportunity to sub and that player is allowed in.

Unlikely that's the way it's going to get handled by many officials, though.

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 865790)
Sophmore boys game today, I was standing at midcourt ready to hand the ball to the thrower-in-er. I hand it too him and he passes the ball to A2 on the court. Horn sounds and B6 walks on to the court to sub for B1. I blow the play dead and tell B6 to get off the court and make him wait. Until the next opportunity to sub. I don't think I handled the situation by rule but no one complained and my varsity official said I did it correctly. I was just going to ignore the horn because I knew it was for a sub, but the player walked on to the court.

I think by rule it should have been a technical foul charged to someone (team, player? I don't know.) Some advice on the proper way to handle this in the future would be appreciated.

Just for comparison:

In FIBA, once the ball is live in the thrower-in's hands, the substitution opportunity is over, and when B6 enters the court, you could only bring him in if you call him for a T, which would create another substitution opportunity.

But if we decide to not call a T, I am tempted to inform B6 to get off the court and continue play. If that doesn't or won't go smoothly, kill the play, reset the clock to what it should have been, re-do the throw-in and B6 can in at the next substitution opportunity.

BillyMac Sun Dec 09, 2012 05:14pm

Not For Me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 865796)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 865828)
Unlikely that's the way it's going to get handled by many officials, though.

By rule, there is no legal way that I can prevent that eligible substitute from entering the game at that point. If you go by the book, you can't get in trouble.

refiator Sun Dec 09, 2012 07:25pm

I wouldn't assess a T in this case...Unless I can T the table. :)

BillyMac Sun Dec 09, 2012 07:35pm

Penalty ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 865914)
Unless I can T the table.

... and then make them all sit down. That'll teach 'em.

just another ref Sun Dec 09, 2012 08:23pm

Hard to overlook two things. Dead ball horn, no beckon, he walks in, quickly jump in front and stop him. Horn and he walks onto the court during a live ball, he's asking for it.

BillyMac Mon Dec 10, 2012 07:26am

Walking Dead ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 865921)
Dead ball horn, no beckon, he walks in, quickly jump in front and stop him.

That's the way we handle this specific situation here in my little corner of Connecticut. I never seen a technical foul charged in this specific situation. Most of us will actually make the player go all the way back to the table, and only then, beckon him into the game.

zm1283 Mon Dec 10, 2012 09:37am

I have rarely had problems with this up until this season for some reason. It seems like every other game (Maybe it's most of the JV games?) I am getting kids just coming on to the court without us beckoning them. Usually it is when the whistle is blown for a foul, and before I can get to the table to report it they are starting to come on the court. I just wave them back to the table, report the foul, then beckon them. Part of this is on the table crew, as some of them hit the horn as soon as they hear the whistle and the kids are like Pavlov's dogs with the horn.

KJUmp Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38am

If we chose to stop play as he walks on the court and re-do the throw-in, where's the spot?

BillyMac Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30pm

Technical Foul ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 865970)
If we chose to stop play as he walks on the court and re-do the throw-in, where's the spot?

I'm a little confused by your question, but if he comes onto the court without being beckoned during a live ball, the spot will be at the division line, opposite the table.

KJUmp Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 865990)
I'm a little confused by your question, but if he comes onto the court without being beckoned during a live ball, the spot will be at the division line, opposite the table.

I was going back to the sitch as outlined in the OP. ......"and he [A1] passes the ball to A2 on the court."

While the consensus among the replies seems to favor handling this by stopping play, motioning the sub back to the table, and not issuing a T; if throw-in has been completed (as in the OP), I would think that we would have to resume play with a throw-in by Team A at POI not the division line. Correct?

bob jenkins Mon Dec 10, 2012 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 866075)
I was going back to the sitch as outlined in the OP. ......"and he [A1] passes the ball to A2 on the court."

While the consensus among the replies seems to favor handling this by stopping play, motioning the sub back to the table, and not issuing a T; if throw-in has been completed (as in the OP), I would think that we would have to resume play with a throw-in by Team A at POI not the division line. Correct?

Correct. It becomes an inadvertant whistle.