The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Team Control

T/F Team A is in control while the ball is loose after B1 deflects a pass from A1 to B2.

Thinking True and using 4-12-2b and 4-12-3b as my citations. Please confirm or give new citations.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Coach should reconsider having A1 in the game if he/she is passing the ball to B2

Anyhow, you have it correct.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

would have to agree with you on the reconsideration especially if it is an easy pass from his PG.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Are we taking an exam or are you taking an exam, SAK?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have gone through the exam and am looking for confirmation when I cannot find the rule in the book.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 07:33pm
We don't rent pigs

When you say "gone through" the exam, what does this mean? You taking it online about to hit submit, or you got your finished exam back and going over what you missed, or what?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Just another ref,

Since the OP is listing citations do you think it necessary to grill him on what his motives are? All of us are in different stages of our careers, and maybe he needs help with this question.

A lot of people in our association have studied the exam and then met with groups to bounce ideas off of each other and learn from other officials. I guess a test purist could say this is "cheating" but if the end goal is to become a better official why would getting help with questions be that big of a deal?

Personally, I learn a lot more from a group talking things through than I do with a text book. If he listed every single T/F question and asked for an answer that is one thing, but a few questions is no big deal.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 09:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
T/F Team A is in control while the ball is loose after B1 deflects a pass from A1 to B2.

Thinking True and using 4-12-2b and 4-12-3b as my citations. Please confirm or give new citations.
What is the definition of team control? What teminates TC?
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 09:56pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
Just another ref,

Since the OP is listing citations do you think it necessary to grill him on what his motives are? All of us are in different stages of our careers, and maybe he needs help with this question.

A lot of people in our association have studied the exam and then met with groups to bounce ideas off of each other and learn from other officials. I guess a test purist could say this is "cheating" but if the end goal is to become a better official why would getting help with questions be that big of a deal?

Personally, I learn a lot more from a group talking things through than I do with a text book. If he listed every single T/F question and asked for an answer that is one thing, but a few questions is no big deal.
An open book test to me is still a test. If I were in charge of a group of officials, (or group of anything for that matter) I would like to know how they rank in ability based each on his own test score, without assistance. If you are not able to make a strong grade on any rules test on your own with books in hand, I would want to know it.

I will help you all day long as you prepare for the test, but I will not knowingly help you as you actually take the test.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Not to hijack the post, but i have another team control question. it came up in discussion tonight. A1 has his dribble interrupted. While trying to recover the ball A1 and B1 are called for a double foul. NO shots and POI. Do we give the ball back to team A as they had team control last or AP throw in? thoughts
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 02:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Not to hijack the post, but i have another team control question. it came up in discussion tonight. A1 has his dribble interrupted. While trying to recover the ball A1 and B1 are called for a double foul. NO shots and POI. Do we give the ball back to team A as they had team control last or AP throw in? thoughts

What changes the status of team control?
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

4-36-2-a answers your question
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

For those with questions, all you guys need to do is read, understand and learn when team control ends.

Last week, I had a 10 second count going when I saw a volleyball roll into the backcourt and a lady chasing it. Of course, before I can kill the play, B1 gets a hand on the dribble and knocks it away as I blow the whistle.

A know it all asst. coach for Team B told me the team with the arrow should get the ball back.

I gave the ball back to Team A.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
For those with questions, all you guys need to do is read, understand and learn when team control ends.

Last week, I had a 10 second count going when I saw a volleyball roll into the backcourt and a lady chasing it. Of course, before I can kill the play, B1 gets a hand on the dribble and knocks it away as I blow the whistle.

A know it all asst. coach for Team B told me the team with the arrow should get the ball back.

I gave the ball back to Team A.
not sure who you were talking to exactly, but part of learning and understanding for some, involves asking questions and discussing things with others.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2012, 01:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
not sure who you were talking to exactly, but part of learning and understanding for some, involves asking questions and discussing things with others.
Exactly. So I'm waiting for an answer to the question i asked you.

Me personally, I don't ask a question until I first look up pertinent rules.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 09, 2012 at 01:29pm.