The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

You are totally correct...I just phrased it wrong. I apologize for that. I'm in my 9th year of varsity and I should have worded it better.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not An Approved NFHS Signal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Why doesn't the "off" official come to the throw-in spot instead the administering official leaving the ball?
That's what usually happens, but sometimes the official at the throwin spot will initiate the conference, and he probably doesn't want to use the unapproved "come hither" signal. We also like to have one person near the division line to deal questions regarding substitutes, team fouls, timeouts, clock issues, when do we get our checks, where's the nearest local joint where we can get an adult beverage after the game, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 05:05pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
That's what usually happens, but sometimes the official at the throwin spot will initiate the conference, and he probably doesn't want to use the "come hither" signal. We also like to have one person near the division line to deal questions regarding substitutes, team fouls, timeouts, clock issues, when do we get our checks, etc.
I've always been taught not to leave the throw-in spot vacated. Any questions that MAY come up with the table can be dealt with before or after going to the throw-in spot.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Others on the Forum, in the past, have criticized me on this point before. Thirty-two years. No one has ever moved the basketball. Never ever.
I have no idea what you do in your area, I just stated what I would not do. Around here there are student sections that would move the ball if you gave them the opportunity and cheerleaders that pay little attention when a timeout is called. So in my experience all it takes is one time and I would not want to take that chance. Remember you said you still work 2 Person in your state so who knows what kind of attention to basketball your state might have. Here I would be scared if I put the ball down and some cheerleader fell over the ball. BTW, I had seen a cheerleader almost trip over a ball before and it was not in my game. As always, do what works for you, but I would not do that here, EVER!!!

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That's what usually happens, but sometimes the official at the throwin spot will initiate the conference, and he probably doesn't want to use the unapproved "come hither" signal. We also like to have one person near the division line to deal questions regarding substitutes, team fouls, timeouts, clock issues, when do we get our checks, wheres the nearest local joint where we can get an adult beverage after the game, etc.

You are saying that people in your state regulate what signal a partner to "come here?" Wow is all I have to say.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:33pm
Huck Finn

I would suggest you discuss this in pregame - no matter how many times you work with someone. Know the status of the ball before granting a timeout and know the position for the throw-in before reporting to the table. Every time, the same thing.

I also would not relay any information. If I grant the timeout, I will report the timeout to the table.

Did you have any feeling that things weren't totally right during the entire game? If so, could you have made sure your communication was on point in a situation like this? If those officials aren't as experienced as you, then the assignor may have put you on the game to keep things like this from happening (assuming you work in a system that would allow that). I know I will assign myself or the assistant crew chief as the U2 to give someone else an opportunity to be the R. If something isn't right during the game I'm sure not going to keep quiet because I'm not the R.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:35pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
That's what usually happens, but sometimes the official at the throwin spot will initiate the conference, and he probably doesn't want to use the unapproved "come hither" signal. We also like to have one person near the division line to deal questions regarding substitutes, team fouls, timeouts, clock issues, when do we get our checks, wheres the nearest local joint where we can get an adult beverage after the game, etc.
Sometimes the Connecticut jokes and other humor get in the way of getting your point across. This may be one of those times. The whole unapproved "come hither" signal thing is a joke isn't it?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I know I will assign myself or the assistant crew chief as the U2 to give someone else an opportunity to be the R. If something isn't right during the game I'm sure not going to keep quiet because I'm not the R.
This is the very reason assignors at higher levels are looking for Rs and not U1s and U2s so they can have those step up and handle these situations without being prompted.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
sometimes the connecticut jokes and other humor get in the way of getting your point across. This may be one of those times. The whole unapproved "come hither" signal thing is a joke isn't it? :d
+1
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 03:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Sometimes the Connecticut jokes and other humor get in the way of getting your point across. This may be one of those times. The whole unapproved "come hither" signal thing is a joke isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
+1
+1000

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 04:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Trying To Get The Frankenstein's Monster Signal Approved Also ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are saying that people in your state regulate what signal a partner to "come here?
Yeah. That's right. We're trying to get the "come hither" signal approved here in Connecticut. We won't push too hard because we don't want to lose our NFHS voting rights.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 05:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bumper Cars ...

Quote:
I also would not relay any information. If I grant the timeout, I will report the timeout to the table.
IAABO mechanics won't allow us to do that. In fact, I believe that back when we used NFHS mechanics, a change was made, also not allowing us to do that, i.e bumping the timeout. But, then again, I know more about quantum physics than I do about recent NFHS mechanics.

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 05:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah. That's right. We're trying to get the "come hither" signal approved here in Connecticut. We won't push too hard because we don't want to lose our NFHS voting rights.
Why would you need approval for a method of communication? Next thing you are going to tell me if I signal that we have 1 and 1 I have to use an approved method. I guess I would just be wrong then.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NFHS doesn't care if you modify mechanics...just game rules.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 05:32pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
IAABO mechanics won't allow us to do that. In fact, I believe that back when we used NFHS mechanics, a change was made, also not allowing us to do that, i.e bumping the timeout. But, then again, I know more about quantum physics than I do about recent NFHS mechanics.
We bump a timeout. Never had an evaluater say anything about it.