Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 05:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Point After ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Sometimes the Connecticut jokes and other humor get in the way of getting your point across.
Agree.

My point: If a official with the basketball (or just the basketball, which is rarely used, but acceptable, in my little corner of Connecticut) is at the throwin spot, then there will never be a problem with a coach not knowing where the throwin will occur.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree.

My point: If a official with the basketball (or just the basketball, which is rarely used, but acceptable, in my little corner of Connecticut) is at the throwin spot, then there will never be a problem with a coach not knowing where the throwin will occur.
You cannot just tell them?

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Erratum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Rust View Post
The NFHS doesn't care if you modify mechanics...just game rules.
I misspoke. Connecticut uses IAABO approved signals.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Things That Go Bump In The Night ...

Quote:
I know more about quantum physics than I do about recent NFHS mechanics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
We bump a timeout. Never had an evaluater say anything about it.
Allowed under NFHS mechanics, or just a local mechanic?

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Not everything is regulated by mechanics.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Question Asked, Question Answered ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You cannot just tell them?
If they ask, the official at the division line simply points to his partner, who has the basketball at the throwin spot. If they don't ask, we don't offer the information.

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Politics Are Local ...

Quote:
Not everything is regulated by mechanics.
Thus my reference to a "local mechanic". Here in Connecticut we point to the three point line when a shooter has stepped on the line. We also use the "hard foul" signal. I believe that both are local to Connecticut, and are not approved by IAABO.

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 06:51pm
Huck Finn

Dear God, thank you for ordering my steps in locations other than Connecticut. It is not that the state or the people are bad. It is just that I like to officiate and I know that there are some things in officiating that are important and some that aren't. You know me better than anyone else and you know nitpicking at me about those small things would not work out too well.

Amen.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 07:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Again, it is not a "mechanic" to signal to your partner to come to you. Or better yet there are not mechanics that I am aware of that suggest we even talk. Not everything is a mechanic if we choose to do so or even communicate on some things. It just drives me crazy when people worry about what is approved than officiating. You are telling me someone in your area is going to get upset because someone signaled their partner to come to them? This sounds about as silly as when I was signaling a 1 and 1 to my partner in a summer game and one of my partners who has a problem getting varsity games of any kind, was worried about the way I held my hands and the fact that my fingers were not perfectly straight. He did this while not worrying about why he missed a BC violation which he was the Trail and was the only one that had the match-up in question. Maybe I am wrong, but I guess I will never understand why people always worry about what is a mechanic rather than learning to just do your job. And if I have to signal to my partner to come and talk with me, I doubt anyone I have ever been around would give a damn if the mechanic is in the book at either the HS or college level. Never had anyone complain at a camp for sure.

BTW, many officials I know and work with use the pointing to the floor signal all the time. No one cares if it is not listed anywhere. There are bigger fish to fry I guess. And no we are not IAABO affiliated at all.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, it is not a "mechanic" to signal to your partner to come to you. Or better yet there are not mechanics that I am aware of that suggest we even talk. Not everything is a mechanic if we choose to do so or even communicate on some things.
+1

I'll add that there are times to deviate from the "officially approved" mechanics. Just know why you are doing it and (as appropriate) be sure all officials are on the same page.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they ask, the official at the division line simply points to his partner, who has the basketball at the throwin spot. If they don't ask, we don't offer the information.
If I'm calling official on TO, I try and always tell coach or asst where they are inbounding and always try and look and communciate with partners where the throw in will take place. I may miss it on occasion but will ALWAYS do in a tight situation. Just being proactive.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I refuse to believe any of that (regarding Connecticut).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 07:24pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Local mechanic. NFHS does say the mechanic is for the official who called the timeout to administer the time out. However, if I on the endline call the timeout and we are going the length of the floor, my partner will administer the timeout and I would stay where the ball will be inbounded, preventing a "long switch". Saves steps. We always have one person at the spot of the throw in during any time out. There is no dispute as to where the ball will be inbounded.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 07:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I refuse to believe any of that (regarding Connecticut).
I am starting to agree with this position the more and more I read about those issues.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sorry To Waste Your Time ...

Quote:
You are telling me someone in your area is going to get upset because someone signaled their partner to come to them? This sounds about as silly ... if I have to signal to my partner to come and talk with me, I doubt anyone I have ever been around would give a damn if the mechanic is in the book.
I was being facetious. It was obviously very poorly worded, and I apologize for taking up your time with a my silliness. At least tomegun got it. The clue should have been "Trying To Get The Frankenstein's Monster Signal Approved Also".

Again, my point, that I certainly could have done a much beter job of expressing: If a official with the basketball (or just the basketball, which is rarely used, but acceptable, in my little corner of Connecticut) is at the throwin spot, then there will never be a problem with a coach not knowing where the throwin will occur.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 08:02pm.