Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bump The Timeout ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
However, if I on the endline call the timeout and we are going the length of the floor, my partner will administer the timeout and I would stay where the ball will be inbounded, preventing a "long switch". Saves steps. We always have one person at the spot of the throw in during any time out. There is no dispute as to where the ball will be inbounded.
We used to be able to do this, calling it "bumping the timeout", but then it got changed to having to go from the endline, to the reporting area, and then back to the endline, with our partner taking his spot at the division line.

I can't remember if it was changed under NFHS mechanics (that we use to use several years ago), or our newer IAABO mechanics.

I do remember our local interpreter telling us the reason for the change, because there were some mistakes taking place during the "bump". Official 1 grants a request for a timeout to Team A, it gets "bumped" to his partner, who happens to be closer to the table, and Official 2 reports the timeout as charged to Team B. That's how the reasoning was explained to us. With no "bumping", Official 1 grants the request for the timeout, and he's the one who reports the timeout to be charged to Team A. No chance for a mistake.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

If anyone wasted my time, it was me.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:14pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We used to be able to do this, calling it "bumping the timeout", but then it got changed to having to go from the endline, to the reporting area, and then back to the endline, with our partner taking his spot at the division line.

I can't remember if it was changed under NFHS mechanic, or our newer IAABO mechanics.

I do remember our local interpreter telling us the reason for the change, because there were some mistakes taking place during the "bump". Official 1 grants a request for a timeout to Team A, it gets "bumped" to his partner, who happens to be closer to the table, and Official 2 reports the timeout as charged to Team B. That's how the reasoning was explained to us. With no "bumping", Official 1 grants the request for the timeout, and he's the one who reports the timeout to be charged to Team A. No chance for a mistake.
Needs to be communication between the two officials for sure, to avoid any confusion. I don't think it is the "Official" NFHS mechanic, but like I said, I have never been questioned about it. I have been calling with the same partner for almost 10 years, so we pretty much know exactly were the other is going to be at all times.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even with Connecticut being the last bastion of the two person game, we always have one of the two officials at the spot where the ball will be inbounded, with the ball in hand. The other official will be at the division line, on one, or the other, side of the jump ball circle. If for some reason we need to get together to discuss something, the ball is left at the spot of the throwin. If the coach wants to know where the ball will be inbounded, it will always be where the ball is, 100% of the time.
If I have to, I set the ball on the floor at the inbounds spot. It's a good indication of where the inbounds spot is and I've never had anyone touch the ball. If I am at the spot, I hold the ball on the side of me where the spot will be. We will at least make eye contact and point to the spot. If we talk, we say WHO has the ball and WHERE. Good habits come in handy at crucial times.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I was being facetious. It was obviously very poorly worded, and I apologize for taking up your time with a my silliness. At least tomegun got it. The clue should have been "Trying To Get The Frankenstein's Monster Signal Approved Also".

Again, my point, that I certainly could have done a much beter job of expressing: If a official with the basketball (or just the basketball, which is rarely used, but acceptable, in my little corner of Connecticut) is at the throwin spot, then there will never be a problem with a coach not knowing where the throwin will occur.
But you said that in Connecticutt the non-administering official never goes to the throw-in spot. That the administering official has to leave the ball at the throw-in spot to facilitate any conversations.

Am I wrong in that inference?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Singing Along, Side By Side ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
If I am at the spot, I hold the ball on the side of me where the spot will be.
We have been instructed to hold the ball either in front of our body, or behind our body, if the throwin is on an endline, to remind us which way the ball is going. Similarly, on the sideline, hold the ball on one side, or the other.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Leave The Ball There ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
But you said that in Connecticut the non-administering official never goes to the throw-in spot. That the administering official has to leave the ball at the throw-in spot to facilitate any conversations.
We have been told that, during a timeout, if the administering official, who is on a boundary line, wants to initiate a conversation with his partner, who is on the division line, that the administering official should leave the ball on the boundary line as he moves toward his partner. Usually the nonadministering official will move toward his partner also, meeting somewhere near the free throw line, or three point line. In a real noisy gymnasium, and we have several of those, if the administering official can't get his partner's attention, then he may end up moving all the way to the division line. In either case, we leave the ball on the boundary line.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 08:36pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 08:37pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
the administering official should leave the ball on the boundary line as he moves toward his partner.
I've been taught never to leave the ball on the court......
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 09:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I've been taught never to leave the ball on the court......
Just recently, maybe within the past five years, we were told that we were allowed to leave the ball on a boundary line. Previously, there wasn't any guideline in regard to this.