The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:19pm
We don't rent pigs

False Double

Tonight, watching BV, A1 drives to the basket, commits what I thought was a charge against B1. Officials hesitates, really doesn't give a signal at all until he goes to the table, then reports a foul on B2, who, according to others, had come over the top in a block attempt.

My question, if you are the official on this play, and see B2 with the hack, followed by A1 with the charge, can you see yourself reporting both?

My thought is that the charge ultimately kills the play, thereby nullifying any disadvantage caused by the contact on the block attempt.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Tonight, watching BV, A1 drives to the basket, commits what I thought was a charge against B1. Officials hesitates, really doesn't give a signal at all until he goes to the table, then reports a foul on B2, who, according to others, had come over the top in a block attempt.

My question, if you are the official on this play, and see B2 with the hack, followed by A1 with the charge, can you see yourself reporting both?

My thought is that the charge ultimately kills the play, thereby nullifying any disadvantage caused by the contact on the block attempt.
If I'm reading correctly B2 with hack followed by 'charge'? Whistle blows, foul on B2.....end of play.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 11:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
If I'm reading correctly B2 with hack followed by 'charge'? Whistle blows, foul on B2.....end of play.
I guess I should have stated more clearly that A1 was, I believe, an airborne shooter.

Come to think of it, I think this is a casebook play, or very similar to one.

Yep 4.19.9 Situation A

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 11:40pm.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

By rule, you could certainly come up with both since the defensive foul doesn't make the ball dead (continuous motion). However, both would have to be very substantial for me to actually do that...and to date it has never happened.

What happens more often than not is that the official either stays with the first one or sometimes goes with just the charge since it was probably the bigger more obvious foul.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 07:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

He's Just A Hack ...

Does the defensive "hack" change the motion of the offensive player to cause the charge?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 08:18am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does the defensive "hack" change the motion of the offensive player to cause the charge?
I don't believe it does.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

false double foul if you were to call the foul on b2 and then on a1 on the charge. Basket would not count if went in. A1 would recieve two free throws with an empty lane. Then depending on made or missed free throw would determine the spot in which team b would get the ball for the throw in.