The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:17pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Girls and Boys on same nights? So 2 crews?
No. Same two guys work both games. Even in the top 2 classes which are 3 man they work both games.

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Dec 04, 2012 at 03:19pm.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
All varsity assignments are single games. Occasionally subvarsity officials will get a freshman/junior varsity doubleheader, or a middle school/junior varsity doubleheader.

Fee is set by our state interscholastic sports governing body, with automatic raises each year equal to the average salary increase for teachers in the state.
I have suggested a similar mechanism here but it hasn't got far. Basically, the teacher's (including the AD's) are certain to fight for their raises through their union when it comes up for discussion but, for some reason, they see no need for officials to also get the same raise...they just as soon see us get a pay cut.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:21pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I always get a kick out of places who essentially turn away quality varsity-level officials because they tell them they have to work sub-varsity for an arbitrary amount of time.

I know that if I moved somewhere and was told I needed to work 7 years before becoming a full varsity official, my career would be over.

I'm not saying that I'd expect to not be evaluated -- I'd be happy to be seen 1, 2, 4, or 10 times my first season -- whatever they wanted -- but saying that an official, no matter how good, would need to work freshman games to "pay his dues" is ridiculous.

(I ran into something like that when I moved here, BTW. I was able to work a varsity schedule right away but I had to wait 3 years before I was post-season eligible even after 15 years of varsity experience in other states.)
If someone moved here (Southern Nevada...Las Vegas) and could work I would give them games next week. The fact that I already have next week scheduled is my only exaggeration in that statement.

I have a guy right now who just moved here and really isn't as polished as my top 6 officials (in my crew). But, he has been great with his participation and is flexible. I feel like I have to show him some loyalty and work with him to the point where I can comfortably put him on the court for some varsity contests.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:27pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Girls and Boys on same nights? So 2 crews?
Maryland (I belonged to two associations that serviced around 4 or 5 leagues): we only worked one game per night and the highest game fee was $65 (Catholic League). Some leagues had boys and girls on the same night at the same location, but not all of them did it this way.

Mississippi: double headers - girls varsity followed immediately by boys varsity. Game fee for both games (combined)...$60 when I first got there and it went up to $75!!! Love of the game people, love of the game.

Las Vegas: almost all schools have two gyms and there are 6 games played at a site per night. Games are played at 3:30pm, 5pm and 6:30pm. Double headers happen, but they are not something we do every night. Coincidentally, I am filling in with our sister crew tonight and my partners are doing the girls varsity game...I will be lonely in the locker room. Our game fee is somewhere around $50. I guess that is something I should know huh?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 03:39pm
NFHS Official

I already have my basketball schedule for 2013-14 done. Schools start in November scheduling officials for the next school year. Season starts first friday in November for non football schools.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 04:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Boys And Girls Of All Ages ...

Quote:
Girls and Boys on same nights?
Seldom happens here in my little corner of Connecticut. Boys and girls usually play on different nights. Usual schedule is boys on one night (4:00 p.m. freshman, 5:30 p.m. junior varsity, 7:00 p.m. varsity), and girls on the next night (4:00 p.m. freshman, 5:30 p.m. junior varsity, 7:00 p.m. varsity).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I already have my basketball schedule for 2013-14 done. Schools start in November scheduling officials for the next school year. Season starts first friday in November for non football schools.
I have no idea why anyone schedules for games that far out. There really is just no benefit to either party.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 04:20pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I have no idea why anyone schedules for games that far out. There really is just no benefit to either party.

Schools are responsible for getting their own officials, so we get full pretty quick.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 05:27pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Schools are responsible for getting their own officials, so we get full pretty quick.
So how do schools feel if someone breaks into small college basketball and has to turn back games a month or so before the season starts? I also don't see this as a good thing.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2012, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds like the schools are trying to get the officials they like before someone else does and they probably try to out-do each other year after year and it probably creeps earlier over time.

I would HATE trying to make commitments on my schedule a year a way. It isn't like you're arranging a million dollar contract.

It might be the game officials have to play but it doesn't do anything for them.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:05pm
#thereferee99

If I may add...

...the handling of the Technical Foul after the Player Control Foul.

This is something that you can fix, and the correct handling of the mechanics gets you back on track confidence-wise. Move right into your pre-gamed handling of a technical foul.

Report, get a shooter, administer, deal with any subs, and put the ball in play. Nail this sequence of events and you are back on track.