The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Steps for correctable error?

Know it's been discussed here before but can't find it now. Wondering what to do when A1 makes his shot, gets fouled and administering official blanks out and tells the players "2 shots."

This is a chilling experience when you realize what's happened as you hear B's coach shouting to the calling official, "Hey, she only gets one!" and then to his players "Play the shot, girls!" No need to ask how I know this.

At any rate, in the scenario above, what happens when the first free throw clanks off and nobody moves for the rebound (because of that nice man instructing them there should be 2 FTAs) The error would have been discovered before the second FTA.

Seem to recall play goes on if both teams have players contesting the rebound, but cannot remember for when one or none go for it.

None of the case book plays in 2.10 cover this.

Never been more relieved to see a player make a FTA.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:34pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Seem to recall play goes on if both teams have players contesting the rebound, but cannot remember for when one or none go for it.
Kill the play and resume with an alternating possession throw-in.

Case play 8.6.1
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Kill the play and resume with an alternating possession throw-in.

Case play 8.6.1
Thanks, Scrap. That's the solution I assumed ... and also puts the pieces of my mind back together because I knew I had read a, b and c on that before. Just couldn't remember where.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Know it's been discussed here before but can't find it now. Wondering what to do when A1 makes his shot, gets fouled and administering official blanks out and tells the players "2 shots."

This is a chilling experience when you realize what's happened as you hear B's coach shouting to the calling official, "Hey, she only gets one!" and then to his players "Play the shot, girls!" No need to ask how I know this.
If she hasn't started her motion yet, then blow the whistle and reset. (By rule you can do this until the ball is released, but from a game management standpoint I think that's a little late -- it trades one problem for another.)

And, didn't your partner(s) confirm the number of shots before the ball was administered?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:39pm
Lighten up, Francis.

And, by the way, you've probably figured it out by now, but I'm going to say it just to make it clear to anybody else who might not realize it. . .

The situation you're describing is not a correctable error, which is why you couldn't find the case play under 2.10 plays. The correct shooter took her merited free throw at the correct basket. So there's no error there to correct.

You just have incorrect information from the official.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

In this case, unless everyone moves when it hits, I'm blowing it dead before anyone grabs it.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If she hasn't started her motion yet, then blow the whistle and reset. (By rule you can do this until the ball is released, but from a game management standpoint I think that's a little late -- it trades one problem for another.)

And, didn't your partner(s) confirm the number of shots before the ball was administered?
Bob,

From a game management situation, why would it be too late to blow whistle?
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Bob,

Because you and your partner should of got the number of shots cleared up before the first shot when you know something is wrong.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Bob,

If you blow the whistle after the try has started, but before the ball is released, the ball becomes dead immediately.

If she misses the "D" coach says "but I was yelling and they were all going for the rebound and now she gets another try..."

If she makes, but misses the second the "O" coach says "you cost us a point by not getting the information right the first time."

If we've messed up, I'd just as soon deal only with that issue and not also with "a replacement FT"
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:43am
NFHS Official

If A1 steps in and nobody else does, or if B1 steps in and nobody else does, you blow it dead and proceed to AP.

If both teams step in and play the ball, you proceed and play from there.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 10:49am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post

If A1 steps in and nobody else does, or if B1 steps in and nobody else does, you blow it dead and proceed to AP.

If both teams step in and play the ball, you proceed and play from there.
Thank you for confirming what I said in the very first reply to this thread, 22 hours ago
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 11:21am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Thank you for confirming what I said in the very first reply to this thread, 22 hours ago
You're welcome.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you blow the whistle after the try has started, but before the ball is released, the ball becomes dead immediately.

If she misses the "D" coach says "but I was yelling and they were all going for the rebound and now she gets another try..."

If she makes, but misses the second the "O" coach says "you cost us a point by not getting the information right the first time."

If we've messed up, I'd just as soon deal only with that issue and not also with "a replacement FT"

Reading is a skill, I reread and of course you said released. I'm thinking it was just after you administered.

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Nov 29, 2012 at 01:03pm.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Because you and your partner should of got the number of shots cleared up before the first shot when you know something is wrong.
Nothing to do with a mental error. Looking for cause and effect.