The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
Yes it does, for whatever reason. And our counts aren't by the clock, always. (I'm impressed with the way the NBA makes this work.) NCAA has a good case play just for this type of situation, too, that backs the officials.
The way the rules are set up makes it easy. The shot clock starts when the ball is legally touched and the 8 second count starts at the same time as well. The 8 second count also doesn't restart if the ball goes out of bounds or there's a timeout. So when the shot clock hits 15, it's a violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:41pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The 8 second count also doesn't restart if the ball goes out of bounds or there's a timeout. So when the shot clock hits 15, it's a violation.
24 - 8 = ?
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
24 - 8 = ?
It used to be 16 but that's because of how the shot clock used to count down. I believe it used to show 24 for a full second before it countdown to 23. It did this so when the shot clock had 0 on the clock, it would be a violation. With the shot clock now showing tenths of a second under 5 seconds, they had to change the way the shot clock would show when counting down. Now when the clock starts, it shows 23 immediately. As such, the "magic number" on the shot clock has to be 15 to account for a full 8 seconds.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
It used to be 16 but that's because of how the shot clock used to count down. I believe it used to show 24 for a full second before it countdown to 23. It did this so when the shot clock had 0 on the clock, it would be a violation. With the shot clock now showing tenths of a second under 5 seconds, they had to change the way the shot clock would show when counting down. Now when the clock starts, it shows 23 immediately. As such, the "magic number" on the shot clock has to be 15 to account for a full 8 seconds.
Or ... stated a different way, previously, the instant the clock first said 15, it was 15.0... but now the instant the clock first says 15, it's 15.9999...

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 29, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Boom bam, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My explanation would include the fact that two different timers started by two different people are bound to start at two different times.
That's good stuff right there.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Count slower.
While standing during warm-ups I'll silent count ten and five then glance at the clock to see if I'm off.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 06:53am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Count slower.
While standing during warm-ups I'll silent count ten and five then glance at the clock to see if I'm off.
When I have little going on in the backcourt and someone walking the ball up court, I'll peek at the clock to gauge myself every now and again.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 06:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
When I have little going on in the backcourt and someone walking the ball up court, I'll peek at the clock to gauge myself every now and again.
I do that too; probably once every other game. It's usually when the dribbler is the only BC player.