The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in, BC, and lane restrictions

I was working through my test and came to the question of lane restriction being in effect during a throw-in. My gut tells me two different things but the one I like best is: the lane restriction IS NOT in effect because the ball does not have either FC or BC status, regardless of where the throw in spot is because we have team control when the ball is at the thrower's disposal BUT NOT player control. How's my gut doing?

My weak effort at designing a case play...

9.9.1 SITUATION (Made up by me) F: Team A has the ball in the FC, and the ball goes out of bounds caused by Team B. Team A has the throw-in from the sideline past the division line in their frontcourt. The thrower throws the ball into the backcourt and A2 gets it and brings the ball past the division line. What I'm ruling - Not a BC violation, new 10 second count.

I'm sure everyone has seen this question a thousand times but with the new(ish) "team control on throw-ins rule" I'm corn-fused. I don't want to see something where there is nothing but team control and player control are different where throw-ins are concerned, yes?

I look forward to the outpouring of wisdom.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:08pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
I was working through my test and came to the question of lane restriction being in effect during a throw-in. My gut tells me two different things but the one I like best is: the lane restriction IS NOT in effect because the ball does not have either FC or BC status, regardless of where the throw in spot is because we have team control when the ball is at the thrower's disposal BUT NOT player control. How's my gut doing?

9.9.1 SITUATION (Made up by me) F: Team A has the ball in the FC, and the ball goes out of bounds caused by Team B. Team A has the throw-in from the sideline past the division line in their frontcourt. The thrower throws the ball into the backcourt and A2 gets it and brings the ball past the division line. What I'm ruling - Not a BC violation, new 10 second count.

I'm sure everyone has seen this question a thousand times but with the new(ish) "team control on throw-ins rule" I'm corn-fused. I don't want to see something where there is nothing but team control and player control are different where throw-ins are concerned, yes?

No backcourt. There is team control only for the purpose of enforcing a foul on the throw in.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

In your scenario, you don't have a backcourt violation. When coming from a throw-in, there must be player control established at some point before the rules for backcourt violation call, 3 second call or 10 second call come into effect.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 11:20pm.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
In your scenario, you don't have a backcourt violation. When coming from a throw-in, there must be player control established at some point before the rules for backcourt violation call, 3 second call or 10 second call came into effect.
I think I found what I was looking for in this thread Another problem with the new backcourt rule?

Sorry I don't know how to make that cool link thingie that would take someone right to the thread...
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

There is a heading above each post on the right, titled "link this post." Right click and tell your browser to copy that link to link directly to a post.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a heading above each post on the right, titled "link this post." Right click and tell your browser to copy that link to link directly to a post.
Cooool. Thanks.

Another problem with the new backcourt rule?
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

This was also helpful

"Technically speaking, the thrower-in is out of bounds and not located in the frontcourt. (4-35-2)"

Look out, I'm a linkin' fool now!

Last edited by Rooster; Sat Nov 24, 2012 at 11:48pm.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Whatever helps you figure out the rule haha

Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:15am
NFHS Official

Team A has ball in back court. A1 passes to front court. Ball bounces off of A2 in front court and is first touched by A1 in back court. This is a back court violation.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Team A has ball in back court. A1 passes to front court. Ball bounces off of A2 in front court and is first touched by A1 in back court. This is a back court violation.
Okay...and?

Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post

Were you around a season ago when the NFHS rewrote the control definitions?
There is both player and team control during a throw-in if a thrower is holding the ball, so nothing in that concept is going to provide the key to your question.
However, your ruling is correct, but we need to steer you to the proper reason.

Here is the interpretation that the NFHS published in the 2011-12 season:

SITUATION 2: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. The administering official reaches a four-second count when A1 passes the ball to A2, who had been standing in the free-throw lane since A1 had the ball at his/her disposal. RULING: Legal. Even though a team is now in control during a throw-in, the three-second rule specifically requires that a team be in control in its frontcourt for a violation to occur. Technically speaking, the thrower-in is out of bounds and not located in the frontcourt. (4-35-2; 9-7)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Nov 25, 2012 at 04:03am.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 04:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Quote:
Okay...and?
He is making the point that the text of the current rule is wrong as it requires both team and player control in the frontcourt.
This was messed up by the NFHS last season. They announced that these rules were reverting to their previous wording, but then didn't make those changes for this year. Very frustrating.