The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Lane Restrictions

We had our first unit meeting last night. While receiving instruction on the Free Throws Rough Play POE the discussion centered on the statement, "Coaches must not teach players to "lock up" arms along the lane line…

One of the instructors said to tell the players they can only hold their hands straight up or down. I asked for a reference to back this up. After some research from members of the committee several references were cited.
9-1-3g concerning a player occupying a marked lane space, and 4-45 concerning verticality were cited to support the instruction.

I need some convincing that either of these would support telling players they can only hold their arms straight up or down. What is your take on this and do these rules or any rules support this instruction?

Don't get me wrong here, I do not have a problem of preventative officiating and controlling the arm & hand contact along the lane line. I'm just not comfortable telling players they can only hold their arms straight up or down.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

If I get arm "jockeying" going on where they keep going trying to be the one on top, I'll tell them straight up or straight out....Never had a coach give me any lip service about it....
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
We had our first unit meeting last night.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had our first unit meeting last night. While receiving instruction on the Free Throws Rough Play POE the discussion centered on the statement, "Coaches must not teach players to "lock up" arms along the lane line…

One of the instructors said to tell the players they can only hold their hands straight up or down. I asked for a reference to back this up. After some research from members of the committee several references were cited.
9-1-3g concerning a player occupying a marked lane space, and 4-45 concerning verticality were cited to support the instruction.

I need some convincing that either of these would support telling players they can only hold their arms straight up or down. What is your take on this and do these rules or any rules support this instruction?

Don't get me wrong here, I do not have a problem of preventative officiating and controlling the arm & hand contact along the lane line. I'm just not comfortable telling players they can only hold their arms straight up or down.
Players can extend their arms any direction they want...as long as they don't commit a foul with them.

Verticality is only relevant when considering a possible foul call. They can put them over the lane, over their opponent, or just about anywhere short of committing a foul.

Occupying a space also doesn't rely on the position of the arms. If they are not touching part of the court outside the space and their feet are not extended outside the space, they're in the space. There are no requirements on keeping the arms in/over the space.

However, once the arms are out of their space/not vertical, they are at risk for a foul if it hinders their opponents play....such as keeping them from getting to the rebound. But then, that's a hold with or without what you cited.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

NFHS rule 4-24-6--"It is not legal to extend the arms fully or partially in a position other than vertical so that the freedom or movement of an opponent is hindered when contact with the arms occur. The extensions of the elbows when the hands are on the hips or when the hands are held near the chest are examples of the illegal positions used."

Also see NFHS rule 10-6-1 & 4.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Players can extend their arms any direction they want...as long as they don't commit a foul with them.

Verticality is only relevant when considering a possible foul call. They can put them over the lane, over their opponent, or just about anywhere short of committing a foul.

Occupying a space also doesn't rely on the position of the arms. If they are not touching part of the court outside the space and their feet are not extended outside the space, they're in the space. There are no requirements on keeping the arms in/over the space.

However, once the arms are out of their space/not vertical, they are at risk for a foul if it hinders their opponents play....such as keeping them from getting to the rebound. But then, that's a hold with or without what you cited.
almost exactly my position in class...I was labeled an irritant...probably was...
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 07:50pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust

Agree. Case 9.1.3. situation L: Only the feet would constitute a violation. However, arm contact is a foul (slapping arms as the throw goes up). That is why many refs tell them to stay vertical or in their lane - just to prevent a foul. Probably OK to mention for MS ball but not HS.

An interesting question would be: B5 extends her left arm into the space of A5 all the way across her body. A5 whacks it down with force. Foul on A5 or B5?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 07:53pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
Agree. Case 9.1.3. situation L: Only the feet would constitute a violation. However, arm contact is a foul (slapping arms as the throw goes up). That is why many refs tell them to stay vertical or in their lane - just to prevent a foul. Probably OK to mention for MS ball but not HS.

An interesting question would be: B5 extends her left arm into the space of A5 all the way across her body. A5 whacks it down with force. Foul on A5 or B5?
A5. Silly A5........unless B5 is committing a free throw violation per 8-1-4f prior to the foul...?

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Tue Oct 23, 2007 at 08:25pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Foul on A5...illegal use of hands.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who caused the contact? A5. Therefore, A5 gets the foul for the whack. If A5 had just moved her body into the extended arm and made it obvious that B5 was holding her back then B5 should be charged with the foul.

PS I agree with Camron's earlier post.