The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball rule

Is it a legal move to feign to throw the ball in your opponents face, as a way of getting past them? I've heard different things about this (as technically a foul isn't commited) but it seems very unsportsmanlike to me!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by MIC; Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 03:24pm. Reason: error correction
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 03:30pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Used to play with a kid in high school that did this. It was usually pretty effective! The Jason Peter's fake as it was self named.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Legal or illegal move do you think? I haven't watched much professional basketball but I don't remember seeing it outside of public courts.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Bush league isn't necessarily illegal. Some things police themselves.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Would you say professionals wouldn't do it because it's unsportsmanlike?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Am teaching basketball and am really annoyed seeing some students take advantage of this move. Want to get my facts straight before I take them to task
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIC View Post
Would you say professionals wouldn't do it because it's unsportsmanlike?
The only time I remember a player doing this at the professional level was Matt Barnes (when he was with the Orlando Magic) against Kobe Bryant on a throw-in. Kobe Bryant didn't flinch. It's not something you'll really see a lot period.

As to the legality, as long as there's no contact, I see nothing illegal about this tacit.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your replies,

Just watched Barnes Kobe on you tube. Interesting that there is clearly bad blood between the two players.

Would anyone agree that this move is probably legal, but wouldn't ordinarily be used in normal gameplay - i.e. it might be used between two players who are goading each other but doing it on court to every opposing player all the time to gain some advantage is not in the spirit of the game? (It would cause most people to flinch for a split second afterall)

It's like in soccer if someone kept throwing ghost punches at opposing players but not hitting them. At a certain point, it's just bad sportsmanship isn't it?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's like in soccer if someone kept throwing ghost punches at opposing players but not hitting them. At a certain point, it's just bad sportsmanship isn't it?
Completely different situation. Throwing a punch results in an ejection, whether you make contact or not, in soccer, basketball or most any other sport at the amateur level.

Faking a throw to the face is not illegal. However, if this is going on, there maybe other unsporting acts to follow. It would definitely scream, "Keep an eye on my me!"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for your replies,

Just watched Barnes Kobe on you tube. Interesting that there is clearly bad blood between the two players.

Would anyone agree that this move is probably legal, but wouldn't ordinarily be used in normal gameplay - i.e. it might be used between two players who are goading each other but doing it on court to every opposing player all the time to gain some advantage is not in the spirit of the game? (It would cause most people to flinch for a split second afterall)

This move in basketball against a decent opponent seems like a great way to have the ball popped out of your hands.

And no - swinging a fist in soccer is illegal whether you connect or not.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 05:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Players don't do it at higher levels because it doesn't work when the defender knows the thrower can't actually throw it at his head.
That would definitely be a T. In a little kids game, I'd probably warn and whack as the ref. AFAIC, it's a threat.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Fair points all, thanks for that
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:21am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
...swinging a fist in soccer is illegal whether you connect or not.
Exactly. Swing-and-a-miss -- particularly with the elbow -- is a yellow card. Swing-and-contact is a red.

Having said that, I haven't seen the fake ball to the face much in these parts, but it sure sounds unsportsmanlike to me.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Exactly. Swing-and-a-miss -- particularly with the elbow -- is a yellow card. Swing-and-contact is a red.
Both would result in a red.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is a good example of where preventative officiating can fix the problem. I would call the player on it and tell him not to do it. Next time he does it then call a technical foul. Definitely unsporting move and could escalate in a hurry if he hits someone.