The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

What do you have?

7th grade boys game

13 seconds left in the game when Team A scores to get within 34-31. Team A has no timeouts left. Player B1 ends up with the ball in the lane after the ball goes through the basket. He looks for someone to give the ball to, he never gets out of bounds, not even close to the line. He passes it to B2, who takes off dribbling like the ball had been put inbound. He is then fouled by Team A.

So my questions are, should a violation have been called on Team B and if so when? Or do they have 5 seconds to properly inbound the ball, no matter what they do with it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Violation as soon as you (the official) recognize that the pass to B2 was intended to be a "throw in"
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I've got a count as soon as B1 looks for someone, and a violation as soon as B2 takes off down the court.

Unless I've been briefed ahead of time with this situation, then I'm likely to rule a violation. And then when I am briefed, I would suggest a proper way to burn time from the game in this situation.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Well, I guess I kicked it. I started the 5 count as soon as B1 had the ball at his disposal and continued it after he gave it to B2. I was at 4 when B2 was fouled. B2 was dribbling along the end line when fouled. My interpretation was that Team B had 5 seconds to properly inbound the ball and until the 5 seconds were up or I knew they had no chance of properly inbounding it, they hadn't advanced it up the court.

My partner after the game thought I should have called a violation. I have been unable to find it in the rule or case book to back up calling the violation.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsh224 View Post
Well, I guess I kicked it. I started the 5 count as soon as B1 had the ball at his disposal and continued it after he gave it to B2. I was at 4 when B2 was fouled. B2 was dribbling along the end line when fouled. My interpretation was that Team B had 5 seconds to properly inbound the ball and until the 5 seconds were up or I knew they had no chance of properly inbounding it, they hadn't advanced it up the court.

My partner after the game thought I should have called a violation. I have been unable to find it in the rule or case book to back up calling the violation.
This play caused quite a long discussion here many years ago. The options were (a) immediate violation; (b) wait 5 seconds; or (c) stop the clock and bring them back to do it right

The NFHS issued an interp (check the Past Interp Archive) saying (a) was the correct response.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:00pm

Team A players do not need to be aware if B is playing legally, and since no legal throw-in has taken place, B's actions only confuse A, which I don't believe is fair to A. A TI violation makes sense.

In the reverse case, when A scores and is losing, and knocks the ball away, we can go straight to the T. In that case, B never had a chance to properly play basketball. In your case, B did have a chance to properly play basketball, so I less inclined to kill the play and let them inbound again with a stopped clock. The only option left is a TI violation or a T. This T would be too much, imho.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 12:26pm.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:02pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
(c) stop the clock and bring them back to do it right.
This is my younger kids, Rec 11U and below answer. Else, I have a violation.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Warning Warning ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
In the reverse case, when A scores and is winning, and knocks the ball away, we can go straight to the T.
Before, or after, a delay of game warning.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Caseplay 9.2.2 SITUATION C:

A1 scores a basket. After the ball goes through the net, B1 grabs it and makes a move toward the end line as though preparing to make a throw-in. However, B1 never legally steps out of bounds, both feet remain inbounds. B1 immediately passes the ball up the court to a fast-breaking teammate, who scores a basket.

RULING: Cancel Team B's goal, throw-in violation on B1. The ball was at B1's disposal after the made basket to make a throw-in. B1 must be out of bounds to make a legal throw-in. (7-4-3; 7-5-7)
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Team A players do not need to be aware if B is playing legally, and since no legal throw-in has taken place, B's actions only confuse A, which I don't believe is fair to A. A TI violation makes sense.

In the reverse case, when A scores and is winning, and knocks the ball away, we can go straight to the T. In that case, B never had a chance to properly play basketball. In your case, B did have a chance to properly play basketball, so I less inclined to kill the play and let them inbound again with a stopped clock. The only option left is a TI violation or a T. This T would be too much, imho.
If A scores and is winning, the case play does not apply. Kill the clock, issue the warning, and move on. A is not benefiting, as the stopped clock negates whatever advantage their player thought he would get.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by flsh224 View Post

Hmmm. Did you call it an intentional foul for contact with the thrower during a throw-in?
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If A scores and is winning, the case play does not apply. Kill the clock, issue the warning, and move on. A is not benefiting, as the stopped clock negates whatever advantage their player thought he would get.
Fixed. Tx.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Before, or after, a delay of game warning.
No DoG warning needed under 10-3-5a.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
No DoG warning needed under 10-3-5a.
I wouldn't apply 10-3-5a to a situation covered by 10-2-5e, which requires a DOG warning.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I wouldn't apply 10-3-5a to a situation covered by 10-2-5e, which requires a DOG warning.
You mean 10-1-5?