The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt violaton

I have been reading and learning from all your post for several years now, and seldom post, but looking for some feedback .Refresher question16: during jump ball, A-1 taps ball. Ball strikes floor in frontcourt of team A and rebounds into the air. A-2 leaps from the frontcourt and catches ball and lands in backcourt. Official rules backcourt violation. I Say no, my interpreter says yes. Based on 9-9-3, I can't see team control is established. Is it because it hit floor in front court? If it did not hit floor, definitley not a violation.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

What are the exceptions to the BC rules? When does the jump ball end?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALDO View Post
I have been reading and learning from all your post for several years now, and seldom post, but looking for some feedback .Refresher question16: during jump ball, A-1 taps ball. Ball strikes floor in frontcourt of team A and rebounds into the air. A-2 leaps from the frontcourt and catches ball and lands in backcourt. Official rules backcourt violation. I Say no, my interpreter says yes. Based on 9-9-3, I can't see team control is established. Is it because it hit floor in front court? If it did not hit floor, definitley not a violation.
As soon as A2 caught the ball, he established player and team control. When he jumped from his frontcourt and touched the ball, he gave the ball frontcourt status. He's not covered by the exception that would allow this particular action during a jump ball because the jump ball ends as soon as the ball touched the floor.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Nov 16, 2012, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for making that clear.