The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 17, 2012, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
". ok coach, i hear ya, and begin to walk away. Then I hear "that's bull$h!t, it's absolute bull$h!t!" being yelled from him. Whack.

Partners then said i should have let the contact to the head go without a whistle since he made the layup and i shouldn't have whacked the coach
...tell your partners they need to grow some balls if they are going to be doing any more H.S. games...SHEESH!
Richland, WA
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
hs scrimmage, had to T a coach this week for similar...opponent driving to basket for layup, gets contact to the head, i call foul, count basket. coach then wants to 'ask' me about it during the ft. i acknowledge (tableside anyway after reporting).

"you're suddenly making all the calls and they're going the other way". ok coach, i hear ya, and begin to walk away. Then I hear "that's bull$h!t, it's absolute bull$h!t!" being yelled from him. Whack.

Partners then said i should have let the contact to the head go without a whistle since he made the layup and i shouldn't have whacked the coach
Were these the same partners who worked your college scrimmage?
Old Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The answer to whether it was a good T rarely involves asking if the game got better. The two are perhaps correlated, but not causal.
I wacked a coach whose team was 17 pts behind in the first half. After that he started coaching and, although they lost the game, they cut the lead to 2 points at one time. I wonder if AD's realize that taxpayer money is wasted on coaches who don't coach. What I really want to tell a coach at that time is, "Coach, you're behind by 17 pts. Your team needs your efforts more than I do." As a parent, I'd be upset that my kid is being ignored while the refs get all the attention.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Were these the same partners who worked your college scrimmage?
actually, no
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
yes level of play does play a difference. But when I speak, I speak (not to put it bluntly) for games that matter.

All games matter to someone.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Devil's Advocate ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
I wacked a coach whose team was 17 pts behind in the first half. After that he started coaching and, although they lost the game, they cut the lead to 2 points at one time. I wonder if AD's realize that taxpayer money is wasted on coaches who don't coach.
Maybe he was coaching? Maybe he was trying to get his kids "fired up"? And he unknowingly included you in his devious plan that seemed to work.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

As Dr. Naismith, And God, Intended ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
All games matter to someone.
Amen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 08:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Maybe he was coaching? Maybe he was trying to get his kids "fired up"? And he unknowingly included you in his devious plan that seemed to work.
The sad part is, this might be the coach's takeaway from the game.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitten View Post
May have kicked a technical foul last night. Very competitive MS boys game. B spectators quite vocal, bordering on abusive/personal comments toward officials. A1 is driving across the lane when he is hacked on the arm By B1 as he is gathering the ball. Coach B is immediately asking me what B1 did. After reporting the foul, I explained the call to him. He huffs and stomps off yelling, "That was a WEAK foul!!!" I took it as directed at me and my call (and possibly inciting his already boisterous crowd). After meeting with my partner and going over the foul shooting order, etc., Coach B called me over (calmly) and contended that he was yelling at his player. Until that moment I had not considered that as a possibility. I explained the way I perceived it and we moved on. After that we had a better game.
I love how coaches and players will take a swipe at officiating/calls and claim they were talking to their team. If a coach says to his player "the refs suck." How is that any different than if it is said to your face?

On this play, I would only advise the following. If you KNOW that you got the play right (foul) then my tolerance for objection goes WAY down. If it was a tough play, then I will let the coach vent if done so professionally. The stomping around is unacceptable bench decorum and the T is warranted on those merits alone. Not to mention, you are having issues with the crowd and poor coach behavior only incites the crowd and makes it worse. I think you did the right thing.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Clasic Line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
I love how coaches and players will take a swipe at officiating/calls and claim they were talking to their team. If a coach says to his player "the refs suck." How is that any different than if it is said to your face?
Jim Valvano: "Can I get a technical foul for what I'm thinking?"
Hank Nichols: "No."
Jim Valvano: "That's good, because I think you stink."

USATODAY.com - Technical foul calls gone wild

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 19, 2012 at 03:16pm.